For the Smart Choice, It's Academic
Together, Froedtert & The Medical College of Wisconsin form the only academic medical center in eastern Wisconsin. Academic medical centers, which represent just 6 percent of America’s hospitals, are partnerships between a medical school and its affiliated teaching hospitals and clinics, working together to:
- Provide the highest quality of patient care from expert physician specialists and subspecialists.
- Conduct breakthrough research leading to medical advancements for patients today and tomorrow.
- Teach tomorrow’s physicians.
- Offer the most advanced technology to diagnose and treat disease.
There are fewer than 120 academic medical centers in the country and Froedtert & The Medical College are among them. This strong partnership — dedicated to excellence in patient care, research and medical education — has benefited patients, healthcare professionals and the region since 1980.
What an Academic Medical Center Means to YouFroedtert & The Medical College play a critical role in contributing to quality of life in the region. Froedtert & The Medical College:
- Provide the highest quality patient care — the more than 1,000 physicians who practice at Froedtert Hospital are Medical College of Wisconsin faculty members. These physicians — among the top in their specialties — collaborate as teams to provide the highest level of care for patients. They, along with more than 4,000 Froedtert staff members, offer patients a heightened level of expertise, knowledge and advanced care that only an academic medical center can provide.
Patients have more choices, with the latest diagnostic and treatment options, the most advanced medical technology and dozens of specialists and subspecialists. A subspecialist is a physician who works or studies within a narrow field of a specialty, such as oncologist who focuses on cancers of the blood and bone marrow, a vascular surgeon who performs surgery only on blood vessels, or a gastroenterologist who focuses on a particular disorder of the digestive system, such as swallowing disorders or inflammatory bowel disease.
More doctors in the community choose Froedtert & The Medical College of Wisconsin for their patients than any other facility. Our programs are built around the concept that a multidisciplinary approach — specialists and subspecialists in different fields working together — is the best for patient care and for treating complex diseases. When it comes to specialty care, referring physicians know that Froedtert & The Medical College is the smart choice for their patients.
Learn more about the exceptional staff, programs and services of our many specialty areas. We encourage you to Contact Us for more information about any of our specialty programs.
- Conduct breakthrough research — Froedtert & The Medical College conduct clinical research trials and other studies that continually enhance the quality of health care in the region — and beyond. The Medical College of Wisconsin receives a high level of research support from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) as well as other government research grants. In fiscal year 2006-2007, the Medical College of Wisconsin ranked 42nd among the nation’s medical schools for receiving NIH funding for medical research.
Physicians at Froedtert & The Medical College have been part of many scientific discoveries of new ways to prevent, diagnose and treat disease. Patients benefit from new life-saving drugs, medical devices and breakthrough surgical techniques. In fact, Froedtert & The Medical College can claim many “firsts” in bringing new treatments and technology to patients.
- Teach tomorrow’s physicians — Froedtert & The Medical College have a longstanding commitment to teaching the next generation of physicians and other healthcare professionals. Tomorrow’s doctors are guided by a team of experienced physicians who are themselves world-class researchers, clinicians and educators. At every level of undergraduate and graduation education, future physicians have access to top-notch research facilities, advanced technology and a diverse patient population in an environment that offers many opportunities to pursue advanced education and specialization.
Click on the many links below to learn more about our physician specialists, staff and specialty programs.
Learn More about Us
- For personal insight from one physician specialist, read “Reflections,” a blog by Bruce Campbell, MD, Medical College of Wisconsin otolaryngologist.
- Froedtert & The Medical College are home to more Best Doctors in America® than any other group practice or institution in Wisconsin. Look up a physician by name or specialty with our Physician Search.
- Throughout the hospital, nurses play a critical role at Froedtert & The Medical College of Wisconsin. This commitment to nursing has earned us Magnet recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Magnet Recognition Program®. This honor validates that Froedtert Hospital is a great place to work. We recruit talented and dedicated healthcare professionals and offer one of the best working environments in the Milwaukee area.
We think the best insight into the high level of care we provide is through the eyes of our patients. We invite you to read the many Incredible Stories of patients who share their health problems and care experiences.
ResourcesBeing part of an academic medical center means that we dedicate resources to help us in our mission of advancing the health status of the individuals and communities we serve. Here is just a partial list of resources available to you.