Prostate Cancer — Making Informed Decisions about Your CareProstate cancer is the most common cancer (excluding skin cancers) in American men. Fortunately, it is highly treatable – especially if discovered early. And you can increase your odds of a positive outcome by making informed decisions.
If you’ve been diagnosed with prostate cancer, take the time to investigate all your options before making a decision about your care. At Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin, our prostate cancer physicians will be happy to sit down with you to discuss your goals and thoroughly explain every alternative. We have all available treatment choices – from the latest in robotic prostatectomy to many other minimally invasive surgical approaches – and the most advanced techniques in radiation therapy and chemotherapy.
And if you’d like a second opinion after you’ve been diagnosed, we will schedule your appointment promptly. At Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin, we have the resources, technology, expertise and compassion to accurately evaluate your diagnosis and effectively treat your cancer.
Our prostate cancer physicians focus their practice on prostate cancer. We’re specialists – not generalists. That’s important when your life is on the line.
Selecting a qualified physician is a critical first step when you have prostate cancer. Here are a few questions to ask when considering the best physician for your treatment:
- Are you fellowship-trained in cancer care?
- What percentage of your practice is dedicated to cancer care?
- How much of your practice is focused on my type of cancer?
- How many of a proposed treatment have you performed?
- What are your results for this treatment in terms of cure?
- What are your results for this treatment in terms of side effects?
- How do your results compare to those obtained at national centers of excellence?
- Are there treatments you don’t offer that would be relevant to my cancer (surgery, radiation, chemotherapy)?
- How much research have you personally done to improve treatment options for my type of cancer?
- Who are the nationally recognized experts in southeastern Wisconsin who treat this disease?
Prostate cancer is a complex disease with many treatment options. Making informed decisions is important for your health – and your future. Please call 800-272-3666 for more information, or to schedule an appointment for a second opinion or a free prostate screening.
Source: Froedtert Today
Date: September 2006