Kate Pollock, our registered dietician provided this info for our clinic. I thought it was very informative and useful. I get questions about this kind of stuff all the time so I thought I would share it!
Proper dietary intake for two to three days prior to exercise can affect performance!!! Proper hydration in the two to three days BEFORE exercise is ESSENTIAL! Drink an extra 4-8 cups (32-64oz) of fluid the 2 days before strenuous exercise — especially if you are a heavy sweater.
During the 3 to 4 hours before event/strenuous exercise (IDEAL TIMING):
- 200-300g carbohydrates; 800-1200kcal
- Sufficient fluids (at least 2-3 cups (16-24oz) of fluid)
- Example: 2c Frosted Mini-Wheats with 2c milk, 1 large banana and 2c grape juice (259g)
During the 2-hours before:
- At least 2-3 cups (16-24oz) of fluid
- 1 gram carbohydrate per pound of body weight (about 100-250g carbs; 400-1000kcal)
- Example: 1 large baked potato, 1c corn, 4oz chicken breast, and 2c lemonade (149g)
During the 1-hour before (keeps you from getting hungry):
- -SUFFICIENT FLUIDS – 1-2 cups (8-16oz) of fluid
- Moderate complex carbohydrates (50-125g)
- Relatively low in fat (<20g – especially saturated fat) and fiber (<10g; fat & fiber delay gastric emptying)
- Moderate in protein (10-25g; red meat is especially difficult to digest)
- 0.5 grams carbohydrates per pound of body weight (about 50-125g carbs; 200-500 kcal)
- Example: Yogurt-covered granola bar with 1c low fat chocolate milk and 1 large apple (82g)
5-10 minutes before:
- 1-2 cups (8-16oz) of fluid
- Simple sugars are OK (if consumed alone, should only be consumed a short amount of time before exercise to avoid insulin spike)
- Example: Sports Drinks or 100% fruit juice
Thanks for the great info Kate!
In my next post, I plan to discuss the new "rocker bottom" shoes that you are starting to see more of. I'm getting quite a few questions about those as well. If you have specific questions or info about them I'd like to hear it.
| ||The following is feedback received for this blog:|
I was thinking about getting some "rocker" shoes and my husband says they're dumb. What do you think?
- Brenda K