Black Bean & Brown Rice Casserole
1/3 cup brown rice
1 cup vegetable broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup diced onion
1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
16 oz cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped into small pieces
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
1/3 cup shredded carrots
2 cups low fat Swiss cheese, shredded
- Mix the rice and vegetable broth in a pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees F.
- Lightly grease a large casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat, cook onion until tender.
- Mix in zucchini, chicken, mushrooms, and seasonings.
- Cook and stir until zucchini is lightly browned and chicken is heated.
- In large bowl, mix cooked rice, onion, zucchini, chicken, mushrooms, beans, chilies, carrots, and 1 cup Swiss cheese.
- Transfer to prepared casserole dish and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup Swiss cheese.
- Cover casserole loosely with foil, bake for 30 minutes in preheated oven.
- Uncover, continue baking 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Serving size: 1/8 of recipe
Total Fat: 6g
Total Carbohydrates: 22g
Dietary Fiber: 6g