4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 ½ pounds)
2 teaspoons dried basil
¼ teaspoon salt, divided
¼ teaspoon black pepper, divided
1 cup diced yellow bell pepper
1 (16-ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14 ½ ounce) can pasta-style chunky tomatoes, undrained Basil leaves (optional)
- Place chicken in a 4 ½ quart electric slow cooker or crockpot; sprinkle with dried basil, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- Combine remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, bell pepper, beans, and tomatoes in a bowl; stir well.
- Spoon over chicken.
- Cover with lid; cook on high setting 1 hour.
- Reduce to low setting, and cook 5 hours.
- Spoon bean mixture into each of 4 shallow bowls; top each with 1 chicken breast half.
- Garnish with basil leaves, if desired.
NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS PER SERVING (1 chicken breast and ¾ cup bean mixture)
Fat: 2 grams
Protein: 38 grams
Carbohydrate: 36 grams
Cholesterol: 68 mg
Sodium: 896 mg
Sugar: 0 grams
Fiber: 12 grams