Turkey and Quinoa Meatloaf
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey breast (Italian seasoning flavored)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
TOPPING PASTE (optional)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon water
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- . Use non-stick cooking spray to coat a pan for cooking onion.
- Cook onion until it has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute; remove from heat to cool.
- In a large bowl mix together turkey, cooked quinoa, onions, tomato paste, hot sauce, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, egg, salt, and pepper until well combined. The mixture will be very moist.
- Shape into a loaf on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Combine the brown sugar, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire, and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl.
- Rub the paste over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 50 minutes.
- An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).
- Let the meatloaf cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS PER SERVING (156g or 1/6th of recipe):
Total Fat: 9g
Total Carbohydrates: 11g
Dietary Fiber: 1g