Vocal Health Program
The Vocal Health Program is eastern Wisconsin’s only voice clinic and the go-to choice for expert, reliable and timely relief for voice problems of all kinds.
We understand voice problems can be urgent, so we offer a 24/7 hotline for our services — 414-456-SING (414-456-7464). For more than 25 years, our program has been a premier voice resource for people who value complete, personalized care with all of the best-practice resources of an academic medical center.
Do You Need a Voice Evaluation?
All of us experience occasional hoarseness or have trouble speaking at times, but how do you know when your voice requires a professional look? Ask yourself the following questions.
- Has your voice been hoarse or raspy for longer than two weeks?
- Have you experienced a sudden voice change, even though you are not sick?
- Do you tend to “lose” your voice frequently?
- Has the pitch of your voice changed, or is your singing range limited?
- Does your throat often feel raw, achy or strained?
- Is it difficult for you to project your voice or speak in noisy environments?
- Is it difficult to perform your daily work duties due to your voice?
- Do you find yourself repeatedly clearing your throat?
- Does your voice fatigue easily?
If you answer "yes" to any of these questions, the Vocal Health Program is the solution.
Patients Benefiting From a Voice Evaluation
Musicians, actors, broadcasters, lawyers, politicians, clergy, teachers, coaches, professional speakers and salespersons benefit from the Vocal Health Program. If you have a concern about your voice quality, effort, loudness, or pitch, schedule an evaluation with us and we'll talk about possible treatment.
Through an evaluation, Vocal Health Program specialists find the root cause of your concern. They combine cutting-edge knowledge about voice health with state-of-the-art technology and techniques, including video analysis of vocal fold vibration, acoustic analysis of vocal function, and office-based procedures. We use microphones, guitar, and keyboard — all onsite — to facilitate care for performers.
Vocal Health Experts Focused on You
The Vocal Health Program staff includes two board-certified and fellowship-trained laryngologists (vocal cord specialists), Joel Blumin, MD, and Jonathan Bock.The team also includes a nurse practitioner, dedicated voice/speech pathologists and a singing voice specialist. These experienced voice health experts work together with a focus on your specific needs.
Many of our staff are active in the performing arts and come from professional voice backgrounds themselves. They understand and genuinely care about your concerns, and can connect you with specialists in the vast Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin referral network for other health needs. For many chronic or severe voice problems, simple voice rest is not sufficient and not always possible due to high-pressure careers. Our goal is to help you rehabilitate and preserve your vocal quality while balancing your professional demands.
Around-the-Clock Vocal Health Care
The Vocal Health Program offers a 24/7 hotline service, 414-456-SING (414-456-7464). Call this number to:
- Schedule an appointment during normal business hours.
- Connect during off-hours with the on-call Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin Vocal Health Program physician if you have a voice issue that will affect an upcoming performance or other need.