Doctors Treating Lung Cancer
People with lung cancer, esophageal cancer or other cancers of the chest cavity usually need several different types of treatment. The Thoracic Cancer Program includes a complete, caring team of specialist physicians with expertise in every treatment option. These physicians work closely together, giving every patient fully coordinated care that offers the best chance for survival. In the Thoracic Cancer Program, the experts specialize in treating only thoracic cancers, which means they have extensive experience in treating all stages of disease. They are using, testing, and discovering the latest treatment advances possible.
The Thoracic Cancer Team
- Board-certified Thoracic Surgeons
- Radiation Oncologists: specializing in treatment of thoracic malignancies.
- Medical Oncologists: specializing in treatment of thoracic malignancies
- Thoracic Radiologists
- Interventional Radiologists
- Pulmonologists: assess the general pulmonary condition of patients before and after treatment, takes care of co-existing lung diseases while patients undergo cancer treatment, and monitors patients who are at risk for lung cancer.
- Nurse practitioners and physicians assistants: specialize in managing thoracic cancer care.
- Clinic nurse: specializes in thoracic cancers and works with all providers in the team.
- New patient coordinator and nurse coordinator: help guide patients and make sure they receive all the services and support they need. The new patient coordinator helps gather medical records and coordinates tests and appointments for new patients, for example.
- Clinic staff: including technicians and front desk staff
- Registered Dietitians
- Occupational Therapists and Physical Therapists
- Other Support Services: through the Jeffrey C. Siegel Quality of Life Center.
Our Multidisciplinary Tumor Board
Of all the factors that set us apart at Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin, our multidisciplinary tumor boards and the broad experience of the specialists who attend the tumor boards may be one of the most important benefits for our patients.
In the Thoracic Cancer Program, our specialists meet regularly to review and discuss cases. Multidisciplinary tumor boards offer a comprehensive, coordinated approach to arrive at the best treatment plan for each patient.
The tumor board approach means a patient gets the opinion of every type of specialist involved in the program — including thoracic surgeons, radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, radiologists, interventional radiologists, pulmonologists and pathologists. The process is easier and clearer for patients, who benefit from the expertise of multiple thoracic cancer specialists, all in one place.
Some cases may be reviewed again at tumor board meetings to adjust the treatment plan if necessary or revisit the patient’s progress after treatment.
The Thoracic Cancer Program includes a complete, caring team of specialist physicians with expertise in every treatment option. These physicians work closely together, giving every patient fully coordinated care that offers the best chance for survival. In the Thoracic Cancer Program, the experts specialize in treating only thoracic cancers, which means they have extensive experience in treating all stages of disease. They are using, testing, and discovering the latest treatment advances possible.
Learn more about the doctors who specialize in thoracic cancer care:
Mario G. Gasparri, MD
George B. Haasler, MD
Section Chief, Thoracic Surgery
David W. Johnstone, MD
Director, Thoracic Oncology Program
Daryl Pearlstein, MD
Carlos Arce-Lara, MD
Ben George, MD
Smitha Menon, MD
Paul S. Ritch, MD
James P. Thomas, MD, PhD
Elizabeth M. Gore, MD
Associate Director, Thoracic Oncology Program
Candice A. Johnstone, MD
Lawrence R. Goodman, MD
Robert Hellman, MD
Kaushik Shahir, MD
Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Arjun Rao, MD
Stephen Dolan, MD
Randolph Lipchik, MD
Kenneth Presberg, MD
William S. Rilling, MD, FSIR
Director, Vascular and Interventional Radiology
Sean M. Tutton, MD, FSIR
Julie Desai, PA-C
Tracy Erlitz, RN
Thoracic Clinical Nurse Coordinator
Anna Ganju, PA-C
Mark Lembach, PA-C
Amanda Mueller, PA-C
Meg Shannon-Stone, NP
Timothy Sie, NP
Trisha Wilcox, NP