Froedtert Hospital Support Services
Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin want to make sure you can find all the help you need — whatever your needs. Our Social Services area has social workers on hand to help in all aspects related to hospitalization. There is also a waiting area staffed by volunteers who can answer questions and provide comfort for relatives of intensive care and surgery patients.
Social workers are assigned to each patient care area and are trained to help patients and family members deal with financial, social and emotional problems that relate to illness or hospitalization. Members of the department work with patients and families to help deal with long-term illnesses and rehabilitation and are involved in helping to plan for the needs of the patient when he or she is discharged. They can also refer you to a financial counselor if your situation requires this. To find out more about Social Services and how they can help you during your hospital stay, contact 414-805-3055.
Family Center – Intensive Care and Surgery Waiting Area
The Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin Family Center (located on the 2nd floor of the hospital) offers a comfortable waiting area for family members waiting for patients in intensive care or surgery. Visitors are required to stop here before going to any intensive care unit. Volunteers and staff attend this area during most visiting hours. Instructive videotape is available for visitors who arrive when the area is not staffed. The Family Center provides visitors with access to a fax machine, telephones and other services. Patient Relations and Chaplaincy Services are located in this area.
Medical College of Wisconsin Library
Located on Level 2, behind the Specialty Clinic information desk, the Medical College of Wisconsin Library is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
Community Memorial Hospital Support Services
All patient support services are provided free of charge and confidentially to our valued patients and families in the community, as well as to our inpatients, by experienced social worker staff. For more information on these services, contact Patient Support Services at 262 -257-3379.
Services provided by Patient Support include:
- Offering emotional support to persons coping with chronic and acute illnesses.
- Helping you learn about resources available in your community.
- Helping with financial concerns related to medical care.
- Assessing and counseling you about emotional and mental health concerns such as alcohol and drug issues, depression, domestic violence and abuse.
- Educating and helping you to complete advance directives.
- Providing you with information about appropriate support groups.
- Determining the need for in-home service, including: home nursing care, homemaking services, hospice care and meals-on-wheels.
- Helping you with alternative living arrangements including: assisted living, group homes, inpatient hospice, nursing homes for long-term care, nursing homes for short-term care, inpatient rehabilitation units and respite facilities.
- Helping with transportation services.
- Obtaining necessary home medical equipment.