Trusted and Compassionate Care for Sexual Assault Victims
When emergencies take on the even more traumatic element of sexual assault, the specially trained SANE program staff have created a safe haven at St. Joseph’s for comprehensive, compassionate care.
Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Available 24 Hours a Day
SANE staff are registered nurses with advanced training in medical-forensic examination and in the psychological and emotional trauma patients experience. They care for victims of all ages, races and populations to provide timely:
- Emotional support
- Physical examination and wellness check
- Collection of medical-forensic evidence
- Assistance with reporting the crime to police, when requested (mandatory reporting for children)
- Assistance with concerns about sexually transmitted infection and pregnancy
- Assistance with safety planning
- Development of a medical follow-up plan
SANE nurses are available to speak to groups and organizations. They are also able to serve as expert witnesses if called to testify at a trial.