Adult Organ Transplant: Heart, Kidney, Liver, Lung & Pancreas
The Transplant Center at Froedtert Hospital offers exceptional care for adults who need heart, kidney, liver, lung and pancreas transplants. Our comprehensive adult transplant programs offer survival rates that meet or exceed national benchmarks. Since performing our first transplant in 1967, our program has given thousands of patients a new chance at life.
Outstanding Advantages for Transplant Patients
The Transplant Center is a joint program of Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin and Froedtert Hospital, with vital support by BloodCenter of Wisconsin for tissue typing and research initiatives. This strong collaboration offers significant advantages when choosing the care team for a complex transplant procedure that will require a lifetime of care. The Transplant Center provides:
- Highly skilled, internationally respected surgeons and specialists
- The vast expertise of eastern Wisconsin’s only academic medical center on the forefront of new research and best practices, offering patients the latest treatment options available
- All available treatment options to care for all aspects of each patient’s health and well-being, including 24-hour access to critical services such as our adult Level I Trauma Center, operating rooms, blood banking and renal dialysis
- Live kidney and liver donor options, including the national living donor kidney exchange
- The latest transplant care advancements, cutting-edge technology, tissue typing and affiliation with the Wisconsin Donor Network, a federally designated organ procurement organization
- An expedited evaluation appointment so patients can quickly begin pre-transplant, life-enhancing care
- A dedicated team of lifelong care partners to help patients live post-transplant life to the fullest
- Exceptional patient and family support
- Easy-access location about 90 miles from Chicago and close to major highways and airports; travel arrangement assistance available
Physicians Ranked Among the Best
Our team of transplant surgeons, gastroenterologist/hepatologists, nephrologists, pulmonologists, cardiologists and advising medical staff throughout the medical center is experienced in handling the most complicated transplant cases.
Our physicians have devoted their careers to ground-breaking treatments for transplant patients, offering compassionate care combined with internationally respected expertise. Many are listed among the Best Doctors® in America and are involved in training the next generation of transplant physicians.
Excellent Survival Rates
At Froedtert Hospital, our overall survival rates for transplant procedures meet or exceed the national averages reported through resources such as the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS). Visit the UNOS for the most current statistics.
Honored for Excellence
Froedtert Hospital is ranked as the No. 2 hospital in Milwaukee and the No. 3 in Wisconsin by U.S. News and World Report. Additionally, we have achieved national ranking in nephrology and pulmonology. We are among a select group of centers in the nation to receive U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Silver Level Award in kidney transplantation. In addition, the hospital and physicians have received many other recognitions.
Dedicated Care Team for Life – All in One Place
When patients undergo a transplant, all aspects of life are affected – for the rest of their lives. Guided by compassion and experience, our team of transplant experts becomes like family, helping patients and loved ones master life before, during and after transplant. Through education, clinical care, social work, psychologists, financial counseling, follow-up care and other services, our team works with patients to help them live life to the fullest. We are your team for life.
Pre- and post-transplant coordinators are paired with patients to guide them through the entire transplant experience and post-transplant care. From free parking to an onsite pharmacy to our spiritual services program, patients and families feel welcome and at home.