Zoo Interchange Project Information
The Zoo Interchange project touches the cities of Milwaukee, Wauwatosa and West Allis and will cover about nine miles of freeway corridor leading to and through the actual interchange. We will post updates and other resources from the Department of Transportation to this page to assist you during the construction.
Call 1-800-ZOO-0003 24/7 for up-to-date information on getting to Froedtert Hospital.
Milwaukee Regional Medical Center remains accessible from all directions during the week of March 10. Note that these closures are weather dependent and subject to change.
Park & Ride Shuttle Service
Campus shuttles are now running to/from State Fair Park & Ride and Burleigh Street Park & Ride. For more information go to: www.mrmccampus.org/alternate-transportation.
U.S. 45 Ramp Closure - March 30
On March 30, the U.S. 45 southbound ramp to westbound Watertown Plank Road will close and remain closed through summer. Access to campus remains available via U.S. 45 southbound by using the Wisconsin Avenue exit or the North Avenue exit east to Highway 100 south. From Highway 100, take either Watertown Plank Road to the Swan Boulevard/Discovery Parkway connection or to Wisconsin Avenue eastbound. Employees are encouraged to continue utilizing the Swan Boulevard/Discovery Parkway connection from the north to avoid further congestion on Wisconsin Avenue.
As part of the Zoo Interchange project, work will begin on 92nd Street between Watertown Plank Road and Connell Avenue. As a result, the following modifications will occur.
- A lane will be closed on Monday, March 10, to prepare for a traffic switch. One lane will remain open in each direction.
- The bus stop on the west side of 92nd Street will relocate to just south of its current location. A temporary bus pad will be poured and the shelter will relocate as well.
- A temporary sidewalk will be installed to access the bus stop on the west side of 92nd Street. Pedestrian crosswalk markings will also be put in place to cross 92nd Street.
- The Behavioral Health driveway off 92nd Street will close short term. Staff and visitors should enter from either Watertown Plank Road or via Connell Avenue.
Weekly Traffic Restrictions by Route
From the North
- U.S. 45 southbound will have overnight lane closures during the week between Mayfair Road and Watertown Plank Road for median work.
From the South
- Only long-term closures are in effect.
From the East
- Only long-term closures are in effect.
From the West
- Interstate-94 eastbound will have full rolling closures at Highway 100 on Monday evening, March 10, 2 – 4 a.m. As a result, the Zoo Interchange south-to-west ramp will close as well
Watertown Plank Road/U.S. 45 Ramp Closures
Reminder: the following long-term road closures are in effect until late fall.
- Watertown Plank Road closed under U.S. 45, from Innovation Drive to Discovery Parkway.
- Watertown Plank Road on-ramp to U.S. 45 southbound closed.
- The U.S. 45 northbound off-ramp to Watertown Plank Road closed.
- Open to Research Park: U.S. 45 southbound exit to westbound Watertown Plank Road remains available until March 30, 2014.
The latest information on the long-term closures of Watertown Plank Road and U.S. 45 ramps is available to you through several sources.
- NEW! App: A “Travel MRMC” app is now available on Android and iPhone devices. Find your quickest route to campus through construction and traffic congestion.
- Online: www.MRMCcampus.org or through your organization’s intranet
- E-mail: Check your inbox for the latest construction information from your organization.
- Printed materials: Watch your mailbox for a special Milwaukee Regional Medical Center 2014 Route Guide.
- NEW! Phone: Call 1-800-ZOO-0003 for the best route information. Live assistance now available 24/7.
- Twitter: Sign up to receive the most up-to-date information: @TravelMRMC
Wisconsin Avenue Commuting
While Wisconsin Avenue is the most direct route to campus, trying a different route may save you time. Watertown Plank Road remains open during construction from Discovery Parkway to the east. The following options are worth a try.
- Swan Boulevard: Swan Boulevard is open and delay-free. Swan serves as a vital link to our campus. Access to Swan Boulevard is available from Watertown Plank Road just east of Highway 100 and from North Avenue.
- Discovery Parkway: Discovery Parkway is open and connects Watertown Plank Road (just west of 92nd Street) to Swan Boulevard. From Swan Boulevard, Discovery Parkway flow freely onto Watertown Plank Road eastbound with no traffic signals or stop signs. Likewise, westbound Watertown Plank Road traffic will flow freely onto northbound Discovery Parkway without traffic signals or stop signs.
- Highway 100: Highway 100 is fully open between North Avenue and Bluemound Road, including additional through lanes and multiple intersection turn lanes. As an alternative to taking Wisconsin Avenue to campus, take Highway 100 to Watertown Plank Road east - it doesn’t close until just east of Discovery Parkway/Innovation Drive. Turn north onto Swan Boulevard to south Discovery Parkway which flows onto east Watertown Plank Road.
Wisconsin Avenue Parking Restrictions
New parking restrictions are in effect on Wisconsin Avenue between 92nd Street and 87th Street to assist with traffic flow. Parking will no longer be allowed between 6-8:30 a.m. and 3:30-6 p.m., Monday-Friday.
Bus Route 31 Changes
Route 31 (State – Highland) has new detours in place along Watertown Plank Road between 92nd Street and Innovation Drive/Swan Boulevard. The following detours are now in effect. The new schedule is also available on www.RideMCTS.com.
Fare-Free Route: Pedestrians needing to travel on Watertown Plank Road between 92nd Street and Innovation Drive/Swan Boulevard will not be required to pay a fare when boarding a Route 31 bus from 92nd Street or Watertown Plank Road at Innovation Drive/Swan Boulevard. If a transfer is requested, however, the passenger must pay full fare. Please watch for signs in the area.
A Look Ahead
- March 17: Schlinger Avenue will close under I-94 and remain closed through 2017.
- March 30: U.S. 45 southbound exit ramp to Watertown Plank Road will fully close.
- April: The 76th Street exit ramp from I-94 will close, and the 84th Street ramps will reopen.
- Early June: Full weekend closure I-94 eastbound and westbound at Highway 100.
- Watertown Plank Road and U.S. 45 ramps reopen.
- Wisconsin/Bluemound ramps from U.S. 45 close.
- Bluemound Road over U.S. 45 will close for demolition and rebuild.
- 84th Street closes under I-94.
- Core Zoo Interchange construction begins.
- December: I-94/Highway 100 interchange reopens.
Read the latest traffic report
WI-Department of Transportation Links
Map of Zoo Interchange Project including real-time traveler information and construction schedule information.
Make sure you arrive on time by checking the current travel times on construction areas.
View the latest highway closures including expected start and end times and detour information.