Milwaukee Regional Medical Center remains accessible from all directions during the week of Aug. 24. Note that these closures are weather dependent and subject to change.
This week’s closures are very weather dependent. With rain in the forecast, changes are likely.
Labor Day Weekend
Only long-term closures will be in effect during Labor Day weekend, Friday through Sunday, Aug. 29 – 31.
Zoo Interchange Ramps
The system ramp from Interstate-94 eastbound to U.S. 45 northbound will close overnight on weeknights, 10 p.m. – 5 a.m., through mid- to late September. Traffic should exit at Moorland Road or 84th Street.
The parking lane will be closed on Wisconsin Avenue westbound from 97th Street to 98th Street beginning at 6 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 23, and continuing through 3 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 27. Additional lane closures eastbound and westbound on Wisconsin Avenue are scheduled throughout the upcoming week.
92nd Street Updates
- Reminder: As part of the Zoo Interchange project work, the traffic pattern on 92nd Street will remain in place through summer.
- Reminder: The bus stop on the west side of 92nd Street relocated just south of its former location. A temporary bus pad and shelter are now in place and pedestrian crosswalk markings and warning signs have been installed across 92nd Street.
Park & Ride Shuttle Service
Campus shuttles are now running to/from State Fair Park & Ride and Burleigh Street Park & Ride. For more information go to: www.mrmccampus.org/alternate-transportation.
Weekly Traffic Restrictions by Route
From the North
- Tuesday, Aug. 26: There will be an overnight closure of the ramp from U.S. 45 southbound to I-94 eastbound from 9:30 p.m. – 5:30 a.m.
- LONG-TERM CLOSURE: Use North or Wisconsin Avenues to access Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin facilities. All eastbound ramps at Watertown Plank Road are closed until fall.
From the South
- Monday, Aug. 25: There will be an overnight closure of the ramp from I-894/U.S. 45 northbound through the Zoo Interchange from 11 p.m. – 4:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, Aug. 26: There will be an overnight closure of the ramp from I-894/U.S. 45 northbound to I-94 eastbound from 9:30 p.m. – 5:30 a.m.
- LONG-TERM CLOSURE: 94th Street will be closed to northbound traffic between Wisconsin Avenue and the alley south of Wisconsin Avenue through mid-August.
- LONG-TERM CLOSURE: Schlinger Avenue under I-894/U.S. 45 remains closed through August.
- LONG-TERM CLOSURE: Use North or Wisconsin Avenues to access Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin facilities. All ramps at Watertown Plank Road are closed until fall.
From the East
- Monday, Aug. 25: One lane will be closed on Wisconsin Avenue westbound from 87th Street to 92nd Street from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Monday, Aug. 25: There will be an overnight closure of I-94 westbound at 68th Street from 10:30 p.m. – 4:30 a.m.
- Monday – Thursday, Aug. 25 – 28: One lane will be closed on Bluemound Road westbound from 98th Street to 97th Street from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Tuesday – Thursday, Aug. 26 – 28: One lane will be closed overnight on Bluemound Road westbound from 98th Street to 97th Street from 9 p.m. – 5 a.m.
- Tuesday – Thursday, Aug. 26 – 28: One lane will be closed on Wisconsin Avenue westbound from 87th Street to 92nd Street from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
From the West
- Monday, Aug. 25: There will be an overnight closure of the Zoo Interchange ramp from I-94 eastbound to U.S. 45 northbound from 11 p.m. – 4:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, Aug. 26: There will be an overnight closure of I-94 eastbound at 84th Street from 10:30 p.m. – 4:30 a.m.
Watertown Plank Road/U.S. 45 Ramp Closures
Reminder: the following long-term road closures are in effect until late fall.
- Watertown Plank Road closed under U.S. 45, from Innovation Drive to Discovery Parkway.
- Watertown Plank Road on-ramps to U.S. 45 southbound and northbound closed.
- The U.S. 45 northbound off-ramps to Watertown Plank Road are closed.
- The U.S. 45 southbound off-ramps to Watertown Plank Road eastbound is closed.
A Look Ahead
- August: One lane of traffic on Watertown Plank Road will remain open in each direction between 87th Street and Discovery Parkway.
- September: The pedestrian bridge over Watertown Plank Road connecting the Ronald McDonald House and the north parking garage will open.
- Watertown Plank Road and U.S. 45 ramps reopen.
- Wisconsin/Bluemound ramps from U.S. 45 close.
- Bluemound Road over U.S. 45 will close for demolition and rebuild.
- 84th Street closes under I-94.
- Core Zoo Interchange construction begins.
- December: I-94/Highway 100 interchange reopens.
The latest information on the long-term closures of Watertown Plank Road and U.S. 45 ramps is available to you through several sources.
- App: A “Travel MRMC” app is now available on Android and iPhone devices. Find your quickest route to campus through construction and traffic congestion.
- Online: www.MRMCcampus.org or through your organization’s intranet
- E-mail: Check your inbox for the latest construction information from your organization.
- Printed materials: Watch your mailbox for a special Milwaukee Regional Medical Center 2014 Route Guide.
- Phone: Call 1-800-ZOO-0003 for the best route information. Live assistance now available 24/7.
- Twitter: Sign up to receive the most up-to-date information: @TravelMRMC
Wisconsin Avenue Commuting
While Wisconsin Avenue is the most direct route to campus, trying a different route may save you time. Watertown Plank Road remains open during construction from Discovery Parkway to the east. The following options are worth a try.
- Swan Boulevard: Swan Boulevard is open and delay-free. Swan serves as a vital link to our campus. Access to Swan Boulevard is available from Watertown Plank Road just east of Highway 100 and from North Avenue.
- Discovery Parkway: Discovery Parkway is open and connects Watertown Plank Road (just west of 92nd Street) to Swan Boulevard. From Swan Boulevard, Discovery Parkway flow freely onto Watertown Plank Road eastbound with no traffic signals or stop signs. Likewise, westbound Watertown Plank Road traffic will flow freely onto northbound Discovery Parkway without traffic signals or stop signs.
- Highway 100: Highway 100 is fully open between North Avenue and Bluemound Road, including additional through lanes and multiple intersection turn lanes. As an alternative to taking Wisconsin Avenue to campus, take Highway 100 to Watertown Plank Road east - it doesn’t close until just east of Discovery Parkway/Innovation Drive. Turn north onto Swan Boulevard to south Discovery Parkway which flows onto east Watertown Plank Road.
Wisconsin Avenue Parking Restrictions
New parking restrictions are in effect on Wisconsin Avenue between 92nd Street and 87th Street to assist with traffic flow. Parking will no longer be allowed between 6-8:30 a.m. and 3:30-6 p.m., Monday-Friday.
Bus Route 31 Changes
Route 31 (State – Highland) has new detours in place along Watertown Plank Road between 92nd Street and Innovation Drive/Swan Boulevard. The following detours are now in effect. The new schedule is also available on www.RideMCTS.com.
Fare-Free Route: Pedestrians needing to travel on Watertown Plank Road between 92nd Street and Innovation Drive/Swan Boulevard will not be required to pay a fare when boarding a Route 31 bus from 92nd Street or Watertown Plank Road at Innovation Drive/Swan Boulevard. If a transfer is requested, however, the passenger must pay full fare. Please watch for signs in the area.
Read the latest traffic report