The Froedtert and Medical College of Wisconsin Administrative Fellowship offers two positions within the health system:
- A hospital-based fellow employed by Froedtert Health sponsored by the COO of Froedtert Hospital
- A physician practice-based fellow employed by the Medical College of Wisconsin sponsored by the COO of the Medical College Physicians Practice and the Senior VP, Ambulatory Operations for Froedtert Health
The Administrative Fellowship Program is sponsored by the Health System CEO and the Physician Practice CEO and locally sponsored by an Administrative Fellowship Council consisting of senior executives from both Froedtert Health and the Medical College of Wisconsin. Both positions offer exposure to all levels of leadership, allowing the Fellows to gain an applied understanding of their skills and of the healthcare system's operations. Working within a leading academic medical center, community-based hospitals and physician practice provides the fellows with the opportunity to develop a comprehensive and varied skill set. In addition, unique areas of opportunity within the program include exposure to a clinically integrated accountable care organization, digital health platform, and a system-owned health plan.
The structure of the Fellowship program is project and core-competency based. Both positions start in July every year, are two years in duration, and flexible to meet the interests of the Fellows. Fellows are expected to attend various meetings across the system, are encouraged to participate in committees and are able to lead team projects. The second year will include an increased focus on leadership and management of long-term projects through interim role placement. These experiences are centered on opportunities that fulfill organizational needs while also satisfying the interests and competency development of the Fellow. Fellows also receive intense coaching and mentorship from senior leaders. The accumulation of these features allows for a wide-ranging experience that leads to a comprehensive understanding of the healthcare landscape.
The primary goal of the program is to develop participants, through measurable demonstration of healthcare operations knowledge and skill-set competency, to successfully assume leadership roles in health system administration. Fellows will complete projects designed to strengthen administrative and leadership skills. The Froedtert & MCW Administrative Fellow will:
- Lead projects that develop analytical, leadership, finance, and health care operations skills.
- Demonstrate attention to detail, consistency, and meets multiple deadlines in a timely manner.
- Exhibit an understanding of health care administration, medical practice management, and an understanding of Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin's organizational structure and mission.
- Work effectively both independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Act as a self-starter and demonstrate a willingness to take on new and challenging leadership roles, as well as non-leadership projects and deliverables.
- Build effective health care management skills and the ability to work with administrative leaders, as well as physician and clinical leaders.
Qualified applicants have a Master's degree (MBA, MHA, MHSA) or equivalent course work completed from a U.S.-based university. Preferred applicants hold a Master's degree from a program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation Healthcare Management Education (CAHME); however, applications from non-CAHME programs will be accepted for review. Furthermore, applicants must demonstrate a record of academic excellence, strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects. Previous working experience within the healthcare field is strongly preferred. Other important skills that will contribute to the selection of the Administrative Fellow include leadership, self-motivation, ability to work in a team setting, and knowledge of the healthcare environment.
Initial candidate interviews will be conducted by phone. Finalists will be invited to a comprehensive interview with members of the F&MCW senior leadership team.
Candidates will have the opportunity to specify which Fellowship track they would like to pursue — the hospital-based Fellowship or the practice-based fellowship — and will interview with leaders within each track.
Please note: Work visas are not sponsored.
How to Apply
Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin health network is a member of the National Council on Administrative Fellowships (NCAF). As such, we adhere to the uniform application and offer dates; and utilize the centralized application service (NAFCAS). Visit the application portal for the 2022-2024 fellowship application requirements, which opened on June 10, 2021.
Application deadline: Friday, Oct. 1, 2021
Offer acceptance deadline: Thursday, Nov. 11, 2021
- Wednesday, Aug. 4, 6 – 6:45 p.m. CST
- Tuesday, Aug. 31, 12:30 – 1:15 p.m. CST
- Monday, Sept. 13, 5 – 5:45 p.m. CST