These Asian-inspired chicken lettuce wraps use crispy lettuce instead of flour or rice wraps, keeping them low in carbohydrates. They are also loaded with protein and crunchy vegetables like cucumber, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts. For extra flavor, color and crunch, shredded carrots and red cabbage can be optional toppings. Enjoy these anytime as a fresh-tasting lunch or dinner with friends and family.
1 can (8 ounces) bamboo shoots, drained and minced
1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and minced
3 tablespoons sherry cooking wine
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon unsalted peanut butter
2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce, such as Sriracha
2 packets (.035 ounce each) sugar substitute (such as Splenda)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup minced onion
½ pound ground chicken breast
1 teaspoon minced ginger
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
8 small leaves butter lettuce (also known as Boston lettuce)
1 whole green onion, chopped
1 small cucumber, seeded and sliced into 1" strips
1/2 cup chopped red cabbage (optional)
1/2 cup shredded carrots (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine the bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, sherry, hoisin sauce, peanut butter, soy sauce, hot-pepper sauce, and sugar substitute. Mix well. Set aside.
- Mist a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 4 minutes or until onions are fragrant and softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the ground chicken, ginger, and salt.
- Cook, breaking up the chicken with a spatula or wooden spoon, for 3 to 4 minutes, until no longer pink.
- Add the bamboo shoot and water chestnut mixture.
- Cook for 2 minutes, or until heated through.
- Stir in the toasted sesame oil.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- To serve, divide the chicken mixture evening onto each of the 8 lettuce leaves.
- Top with chopped green onion and cucumber. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 2 lettuce wraps
Cholesterol: 33 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 11 grams
Sodium: 637 milligrams
Fat: 4 grams
Protein: 16 grams
Dietary Fiber: 5 grams
Sugar: 4 grams
Virtual Visits Are Available
Safe and convenient virtual visits by video let you get the care you need via a mobile device, tablet or computer wherever you are. We'll assess your condition and develop a treatment plan right away. To schedule a virtual visit, call 414-777-7700.
Preparing for Bariatric Surgery
Learn more about bariatric surgery and what to expect.