1 can (8 ounces) bamboo shoots, drained and minced
1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and minced
3 tablespoons sherry cooking wine
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon unsalted peanut butter
2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce, such as Sriracha
2 packets (.035 ounce each) sugar substitute (such as Splenda)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup minced onion
½ pound ground chicken breast
1 teaspoon minced ginger
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
8 small leaves butter lettuce
1 whole green onion, chopped
1 small cucumber, seeded and sliced into 1" strips
- In a medium bowl, combine the bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, sherry, hoisin sauce, peanut butter, soy sauce, hot-pepper sauce, and sugar substitute. Mix well. Set aside.
- Mist a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 4 minutes or until onions are fragrant and softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the ground chicken, ginger, and salt.
- Cook, breaking up the chicken with a spatula or wooden spoon, for 3 to 4 minutes, until no longer pink.
- Add the bamboo shoot and water chestnut mixture.
- Cook for 2 minutes, or until heated through.
- Stir in the toasted sesame oil.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- To serve, divide the chicken mixture evening onto each of the 8 lettuce leaves.
- Top with chopped green onion and cucumber. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 2 lettuce wraps
Cholesterol: 33 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 11 grams
Sodium: 637 milligrams
Fat: 4 grams
Protein: 16 grams
Dietary Fiber: 5 grams
Sugar: 4 grams
Preparing for Bariatric Surgery
Learn more about bariatric surgery and what to expect.