Caprese usually indicates a salad using fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil. Adding grilled chicken will turn this dish into a quick and easy one-pan meal. We recommend making this during the summer months when local farmer's markets and home gardens are aplenty with basil and tomatoes. Fresh mozzarella is available at most grocery stores and can be purchased presliced.
Ingredients You'll Need to Make Grilled Chicken Caprese
Prep time: 20 minutes
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon dry Italian seasoning (or equal parts of garlic powder, dried oregano and dried basil)
4 thick (½-inch) slices ripe tomato
4 1-ounce slices fresh mozzarella cheese
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze
2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil
Pepper to taste
Prep and Cooking Directions for Grilled Chicken Caprese
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over chicken breasts and season to taste with and pepper.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning over the chicken.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until done. Cook time will vary depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts.
- When chicken is done, top with a slice of mozzarella cheese and cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat and place chicken breasts on a plate.
- Top each breast with one slice of tomato, thinly sliced basil and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze and serve.
Serving size: 6 ounces (4 ounces chicken with 1-ounce tomato and 1-ounce cheese)
Fat: 9 gram
Cholesterol: 80 milligrams
Sodium: 105 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 4 grams
Dietary Fiber: 0 grams
Sugar: 2.5 grams
Protein: 33 grams
Adapted from Dinner at the Zoo © Sara Welch and Dinner at the Zoo, 2015.
Preparing for Bariatric Surgery
Learn more about bariatric surgery and what to expect.