2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon mustard
1 teaspoon chili paste
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
3 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into ½” cubes
Black pepper, to taste
½ cup finely chopped whole green onions
¼ cup chopped carrot
1 clove garlic, minced
¾ cup cooked short-grain brown rice
¼ cup frozen peas
2 large egg whites
Olive oil spray
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, mustard, chili paste and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Season the cubed chicken with black pepper.
- Mist a large, nonstick wok or skillet with cooking spray and place over medium high heat until it is hot enough for a drop of water to sizzle on it.
- Scatter the chicken cubes into the wok or skillet.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides and no longer pink inside.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Lightly mist the wok or skillet with cooking spray again. Set over medium-high heat.
- Add the green onions, carrot, and garlic to the pan.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and peas.
- Continue cooking and stirring for 2 minutes or until the mixture is hot throughout.
- Using a spoon or spatula, create a hole in the rice and veggies to expose the center of the pan.
- Off the heat, lightly mist the exposed part of the pan with cooking spray.
- Add the egg whites and stir to mix them into the rice.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the egg is completely cooked.
- Return the chicken to the pan and stir in the reserved soy sauce mixture.
- Leave on heat, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute or until heated. Serve immediately.
Serving size: ½ recipe
Carbohydrate: 25 grams
Fat: 3.5 grams (1 grams saturated)
Protein: 17 grams
Cholesterol: 25 milligrams
Sodium: 260 milligrams
Fiber: 3.5 grams
Preparing for Bariatric Surgery
Learn more about bariatric surgery and what to expect.