2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound pork loin or tenderloin, trimmed of visible fat and cut into 1” cubes
1¼ cup chopped onions
3 cloves garlic
2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 packet Goya Sazon with coriander & annatto (or similar seasoning packet)
1 can (14 ounces) no salt added chicken broth
1 can (14.5 ounces) no salt added diced tomatoes in juice
1 can (14.5 ounces) no salt added black beans, drained & rinsed
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- In large pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add pork cubes and cook, stirring occasionally for 4-6 minutes or until browned on all sides.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until starting to soften.
- Add chipotle peppers and sauce, cumin, and seasoning packet. Stir to mix.
- Add broth, tomatoes, beans and red pepper flakes if desired. Stir to mix well.
- Bring stew to a boil then reduce heat to low.
- Cover pot and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the port is fork tender.
- Serve stew in bowls over brown rice or add rice to stew, if desired. (Rice not included in nutritional analysis.)
Serving size: ¼ of recipe, not including rice
Carbohydrate: 25 grams
Fat: 7 grams (2 grams saturated)
Protein: 33 grams
Cholesterol: 84 milligrams
Sodium: 414 milligrams
Fiber: 6 grams
Preparing for Bariatric Surgery
Learn more about bariatric surgery and what to expect.