This herby Chicken Provençal recipe is a lean take on the French classic using beans instead of olives for added fiber and can be made easily in a slow cooker of your choice. Recommended as part of a post-bariatric surgery diet and enjoyed by all.
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut in half lengthwise (about 1 ½ pounds)
2 teaspoons dried basil
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup diced yellow bell pepper
1 (16-ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14 ½ ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
Fresh or dried basil leaves (optional)
- Place chicken in an electric slow cooker or crockpot.
- In a large bowl, combine salt, black pepper, bell pepper, beans, tomatoes and dried basil (if using fresh basil, add at the end); stir well.
- Spoon mixture over chicken.
- Cook on low setting for 4-6 hours, or until chicken reaches 165°F.
- Serve each chicken breast half with bean and tomato mixture spooned over the top.
- Garnish with fresh or dried basil leaves, if desired.
NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS PER SERVING (½ chicken breast and ¾ cup bean mixture)
Fat: 2 grams
Protein: 38 grams
Carbohydrate: 36 grams
Cholesterol: 68 mg
Sodium: 896 mg
Sugar: 0 grams
Fiber: 12 grams
Virtual Visits Are Available
Safe and convenient virtual visits by video let you get the care you need via a mobile device, tablet or computer wherever you are. We'll assess your condition and develop a treatment plan right away. To schedule a virtual visit, call 414-777-7700.
Preparing for Bariatric Surgery
Learn more about bariatric surgery and what to expect.