The key to this healthy chicken tikka masala recipe is the blend of Indian spices like cinnamon, cumin, paprika and Garam masala. Simply add the fresh ingredients to your slow cooker and in just a few hours, you have a warm, comforting Indian dish full of flavor. Chicken tikka masala is typically served over rice, but tastes delicious by itself. Depending on the stage of your diet, brown rice is optional. Recommended as part of a post-bariatric surgery diet and enjoyed by all.
3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 can tomato puree (29 oz)
1½ cups plain Greek yogurt (12 oz)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp Garam masala
1 tbsp cumin
½ tbsp paprika
¾ tsp cinnamon
¾ tsp ground black pepper
1-3 tsp cayenne pepper (depending on taste)
2 bay leaves
Chopped cilantro for topping
- Place everything up to bay leaves in large bowl.
- With a spatula, stir to combine and coat chicken well.
- Gently place into slow cooker, add bay leaves on top.
- Cover and cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Remove bay leaves, and serve topped with cilantro.
- Can be served alone or with white or brown rice, depending on dietary needs.
NUTRITION FACTS (1/10 recipe)
Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Sodium: 151 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 12 g
Dietary Fiber: 2 g
Sugars: 7 g
Protein: 45 g
Virtual Visits Are Available
Safe and convenient virtual visits by video let you get the care you need via a mobile device, tablet or computer wherever you are. We'll assess your condition and develop a treatment plan right away. To schedule a virtual visit, call 414-777-7700.
Preparing for Bariatric Surgery
Learn more about bariatric surgery and what to expect.