SERVINGS: 10 – 12
You won’t miss the meat in this hearty, satisfying chili, made with powdered peanuts.
1 tablespoon peanut oil (or canola oil)
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper (optional)
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
1 can (16 ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (16 ounce) white beans, drained and rinsed
⅔ cup powdered peanuts
1 can (28 ounce) diced tomato
1 can (15 ounce) tomato sauce
2 cups vegetable broth
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic, sautéing 3 – 4 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in chili powder, pepper, oregano and salt.
- Sauté 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add beans, corn, powdered peanuts, tomatoes, tomato sauce and broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Note: This recipe may be cooked in slow cooker for 2 – 3 hours.
Serving size: ½ cup
Fat: 2.5 grams
Sodium: 582 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 22 grams
Dietary Fiber: 7 grams
Sugar: 5 grams
Protein: 8 grams
Recipe modified from Bell Plantation Inc.
Preparing for Bariatric Surgery
Learn more about bariatric surgery and what to expect.