Start your morning off right and get your vegetables and protein in one delicious dish. Anyone can enjoy this spinach frittata recipe, recommended by the dieticians in the Froedtert & MCW Bariatric Surgery Program. You can even prep in advance and simply bake whenever you are ready for breakfast or brunch.
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped (if tolerated)
1 package (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1½ cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
4 egg whites
2 whole eggs
⅓ cup reduced-fat cottage cheese
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
⅛ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9-inch pie pan with vegetable oil spray.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil on medium high. Add onion and cook 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add spinach and cook 3 more minutes, set aside.
- Sprinkle cheese in pie pan. Top with spinach/onion mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg whites and whole eggs, cottage cheese, cayenne pepper, salt and nutmeg. Pour mixture into pie pan over spinach and cheese.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until just set. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS PER SERVING (⅙)
Fat: 8 g
Cholesterol: 86 mg
Sugar: 0 g Protein: 16 g
Sodium: 548 mg
Preparing for Bariatric Surgery
Learn more about bariatric surgery and what to expect.