1 head of cabbage, individual leaves removed
⅓ cup brown Minute Rice, or other whole grain of choice
1 teaspoon olive oil
½ medium onion, diced (if tolerated)
2 medium carrots, diced
1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons Oregano or Italian seasoning
2 cups tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Wash and blanch* cabbage leaves for 30 seconds to make leaves easier to work with.
- Prepare rice as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots, stirring until slightly soft and caramelized.
- Add turkey to the vegetables in skillet and cook until browned.
- Add the powders and seasonings.
- Combine rice and meat.
- Place ½ cup of mixture into center of 1 cabbage leaf. Roll up, sealing both ends as you roll.
- Place cabbage rolls in baking dish seam side down, side by side to prevent them from unrolling.
- Top the cabbage rolls off with the tomato sauce, letting it spill over to the bottom of the dish.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS PER SERVING (1 roll)
Fat: 5.5 grams
Protein: 15 grams
Carbohydrate: 16 grams
Cholesterol: 54 mg
Sodium: 560 mg
Sugar: 6 grams
*Blanching is a cooking technique in which food is briefly immersed in boiling water (usually for 10-60 seconds).
Preparing for Bariatric Surgery
Learn more about bariatric surgery and what to expect.