½ cup uncooked bulgur wheat
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
½ pound broccoli, chopped
¼ pound mushrooms, chopped
1½ pounds tofu
2 tablespoons sesame tahini
1 tablespoon umeboshi paste (pickled plum paste) or white miso
1 tablespoon tamari
- Preheat oven to 350?F.
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a small pot, add bulgur and salt and return to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Press hot bulgur into a greased 9-inch pie pan and baked for 12 minutes, or until somewhat dry and crust-like. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onions, broccoli and mushrooms to skillet and cook briefly.
- Cover skillet and turn off heat; set aside while you prepare tofu mixture.
- Blend tofu, tahini, umeboshi paste and tamari in a food processor until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and add cooked vegetables. Toss gently to combine.
- Pour vegetable mixture into bulgur crust, then bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Cut into 6 slices slices and serve hot or cold.
NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS PER SERVING (⅙ recipe):
Total Calories: 190
Total Fat: 8g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Total cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 350 mg
Total carbohydrates: 18g
Dietary fiber: 4g
Brought to you by Dietetic Intern: Laurie Wohlscheid. Adapted from the recipe at wholefoodsmarket.com.
Virtual Visits Are Available
Safe and convenient virtual visits by video let you get the care you need via a mobile device, tablet or computer wherever you are. We'll assess your condition and develop a treatment plan right away. To schedule a virtual visit, call 414-777-7700.
Preparing for Bariatric Surgery
Learn more about bariatric surgery and what to expect.