The Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin Clinical Cancer Center, includes a special area dedicated to providing cancer patients and their families with a full range of support services. This unique resource area is called the Jeffrey C. Siegel Quality of Life Center, named in memory of an individual whose generous family helped make it possible.
The Quality of Life Center is located on the second floor of the Clinical Cancer Center. Patients coming in for physician appointments, treatments or other procedures are able to visit the Quality of Life Center for a variety of specialized services including:
- Psych-oncology: A psychiatrist and advanced practice nurses are available to help cancer patients throughout their treatment. A range of psycho-oncology services includes: educating patients about emotions they may experience, such as anxiety, depression, frustration and anger; offering counseling; prescribing medications as needed; and helping patients cope with family conflicts related to cancer.
- Registered dietitians. Nutrition experts who assess and recommend solutions to nutrition problems, create customized eating plans, and support cancer patients in maintaining better health throughout treatment and recovery.
- Complementary medicine. Patients can explore a variety of non-traditional health services that have proven effective in supporting cancer treatment.
- Social workers. Trained professionals who help cancer patients access community and other resources to get the support they need.
- Financial counselors. Skilled professionals who help patients and family members navigate their financial options.
- Chaplains. Individuals and families can seek spiritual support and counseling from hospital chaplains who focus on cancer patients.
- Cancer Genetic Counselors. Specially trained and certified professionals who help patients, family members and others understand their risk of experiencing an inherited form of cancer.
The Quality of Life Center is also home to the nationally recognized Froedtert & the Medical College Palliative Care Program for patients facing major illness. Specialized physicians and nurses provide medical care and planning, pain management, and family support for patients throughout the hospital. The Palliative Care Program is the first and only one of its kind in Wisconsin and is one of the most prominent palliative care centers in the nation.
Complete Cancer Care in One Place
The Quality of Life Center has its own reception and waiting area, and includes several comfortable rooms for staff to meet with patients and families. Visitors are able to access additional resources at the nearby Small Stones Wellness Center, including wigs, hair coverings, breast prostheses and skin care products.
Exciting New Technology
Froedtert & MCW health network will partner with Legion Healthcare Partners to provide proton therapy for cancer patients. Proton therapy supports refined dosing strategies to increase effectiveness and decrease side effects. It is not currently available in Wisconsin.
“Proton therapy supports our ongoing commitment to developing and offering world-class, innovative cancer care to all of the patients in the diverse communities we serve,” said Christopher Schultz, MD, FACR, chair of the Department of Radiation Oncology at the Clinical Cancer Center on the Froedtert Hospital Campus.
The Froedtert & MCW Cancer Network is a 2021 Press Ganey Guardian of Excellence Award® winner for patient experience, reaching the 95th percentile among Press Ganey clients nationally. This marks the fourth consecutive year the Cancer Network has been recognized with this honor. Our cancer patients continue to rate us highly: More than 93% say they would recommend us.
Cancer and the COVID-19 Vaccine
There is currently no data that suggests current or former cancer patients should avoid getting the COVID-19 vaccine. Cancer can weaken your immune system, so we recommend that most patients get the vaccine as soon as possible.
Virtual Visits Are Available
Safe and convenient virtual visits by video let you get the care you need via a mobile device, tablet or computer wherever you are. We’ll gather your medical records for you and get our experts’ input so we can offer treatment options without an in-person visit. To schedule a virtual visit, call 1-866-680-0505.
Cancer Clinical Trials
Providing you with the most up-to-date cancer treatment options.