COPD is a general term used to describe multiple variations of progressive lung disease including chronic bronchitis, emphysema, refractory asthma and some types of bronchiectasis. These conditions may result in a loss of lung function that can seriously impair your ability to perform normal activities. Symptoms may include:
- Shortness of breath
- Chronic coughing
Ultimately, the condition can threaten your overall health and longevity.
Treatment: A Partnership with You
Our philosophy is that you are an essential member of your health care team. To diagnose and help manage your COPD, your doctor will ask questions and take into account your medical and family history. You may also require:
- Lung function test, such as spirometry — a painless test that measures your breathing
- Physical examination
- Chest X-ray
- Chest CT scan
Through education and careful guidance, we help you use self-management techniques to meet your health challenges head-on.
If you have COPD, there are options to slow progression of the disease, maintain your lung function and even improve your quality of life. Our expert team focuses on providing our patients with the knowledge and treatments they need through our full range of medical services.
- Oxygen therapy — A treatment that provides extra oxygen to ensure you are getting enough. The oxygen is supplied by a metal cylinder through a tube and is delivered to your lungs. Oxygen therapy can be done at the hospital or at home.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Medical procedures — Our team also offers the full spectrum of medical procedures for COPD, including bronchoscopic lung volume reduction.
- Access to clinical trials
- Smoking Cessation Program
Recognized as High Performing by U.S. News & World Report
Froedtert Hospital, Froedtert Menomonee Falls Hospital and Froedtert West Bend Hospital are recognized by U.S. News & World Report as high performing in pulmonology and lung surgery. Froedtert Hospital and Froedtert Menomonee Falls Hospital are also recognized for COPD treatment.