When it comes to your patients’ care, the complete story is just a few clicks away with Froedtert & MCW EpicCare Link.
EpicCare Link is a tool that provides real-time web access to patient information so you can access patients' clinical data and communicate with the Froedtert & MCW health network to provide quality patient care.
Froedtert & MCW EpicCare Link provisioning includes:
- External providers and locations with mutual shared patients
- Outside referring providers and physicians
- Community-based care partners, including nursing homes, dialysis centers and long-term care facilities
- Other entities that would need access for treatment, payment, or operations
EpicCare Link provides registered users with secure access to their patients’ electronic health record information and test results from Froedtert & MCW facilities.
With Froedtert & MCW EpicCare Link, you can:
- Maintain continuity of patient care with your Froedtert & MCW patients.
- View your patient’s Froedtert & MCW Epic medical records, including hospitalizations, emergency visits and specialist referrals.
- Access face sheet and demographic information as well as inpatient and/or hospital lists and surgeon daily schedules.
- Review real-time clinical data, including radiology and procedure reports, hospital discharge summaries, current medication lists, patient demographics and coverage data.
- Securely send HIPAA-compliant messages, electronic referrals and imaging orders to Froedtert & MCW providers.
- Make a referral to most F&MCW programs. See the FAQ section for a complete list of programs available for placing referrals utilizing EpicCare Link.
Already have EpicCare access?
Frequently Asked Questions
- What computer equipment does EpicCare Link require?
- Is there a fee for using EpicCare Link?
- What information is available within EpicCare Link?
How long does a Primary Care Provider have access to a patient's medical record?
Providers who have been identified in the Froedtert & MCW electronic health records system (Epic) as the patient's primary care provider (PCP) will have access to the health record for as long as the provider is listed as the patient’s PCP.
Please note that EpicCare Link users must log into Froedtert & MCW EpicCare Link once every 30 days in order for their account to remain active. If your account becomes inactive, please call the Froedtert & MCW IT Helpdesk at 414-805-2101 to re-activate it.
How long will other users with a relationship to the patient have access to the health record?
Other users with a temporary relationship to the patient, such as consulting and referring physicians, their staff, a regulatory agent or a provider at a community facility (e.g., a nursing home) will have access to a patient's Froedtert & MCW health record for 90 days following the user’s first log in to EpicCare Link.
- How do I sign up for EpicCare Link?
What kind of role should I select?
Users can have one of the following five roles in EpicCare Link.
- Site: Select this if you wish to request access for a new site.
- Provider: Select this role if you are the physician provider in your practice.
- Clinical staff: Select this role if you work in a health care facility or practice, but you are not a provider.
- Non-Clinician: Select this role if you provide billing, coding, scheduling or other non-clinical services.
- Research Monitor: Select this role if you provide oversight or review services on behalf of the Froedtert & MCW health network.
- Who should I contact if I am having problems accessing EpicCare Link?
How long does it take to get an account?
Once the request is submitted, generally it takes 5 – 7 business days to process the account, upon which user’s account information will be emailed to the email address specified in the request.
Once I submit the account, what happens next?
Once the account request has been approved and processed, you will receive your user name and password via email. Please make sure to enter an accurate email address in the request form to ensure the receipt of your usernames and passwords.
- Is training required to use EpicCare Link?
- Can I share my EpicCare Link user name and password with someone else?
Who can reset my password?
You can reset your own password provided you configured your challenge questions when you initially signed in. If you did not, you should contact your site admin.
- Does EpicCare Link help my practice attest to Meaningful Use?
Patient-Related Frequently Asked Questions
Why can’t I see my patients in the list?
Physicians may not see some of their patients upon logging in the system the first time since the patient relationship may not be established. Physicians may choose to add such patients using the First Access functionality via Patients List tab in the application. Please note that this functionality is available only to the physician/provider role.
- Is there additional information I can view or download on EpicCare Link?
How does Froedtert & MCW health network know when there is an access issue?
Froedtert & MCW health network conducts audits to protect the privacy of our patients by determining who is accessing patient records. We also perform audits when a problem is reported to us.
The rules, audits and consequences of privacy violations have not changed with our transition to Epic. These are all outlined in the Terms and Conditions you must agree to in order to use EpicCare Link.
- Can EpicCare Link providers contact the Froedtert & MCW provider who treated a patient, with questions about test results?
- Which Froedtert & MCW programs can accept referrals through EpicCare Link?