Philanthropy supports a wide range of programs and services throughout Froedtert Hospital. Some projects are donor-directed, others are funded when a department identifies a need and requests Froedtert Hospital Foundation support. Charitable gifts provide Froedtert’s “margin of excellence,” supporting programs above and beyond what our budget allows.
Here’s a summary of some of the important work funded in the past year by charitable contributions to the Froedtert Hospital Foundation.
- Video technology providing instant access to professionally trained, off-site medical interpreters for hearing impaired and non-English speaking patients.
- New furniture for bone marrow transplant patient rooms.
- Educational materials for patients, including informational binders for newly diagnosed cancer patients, and newsletters for the sarcoma and head/neck cancer programs.
- Teaching tools/technology to augment the da Vinci® Robotic Surgical System.
- Patient assistance including stipends for groceries, clothing and necessary medical equipment (such as scales and blood pressure cuffs), and short-term prescription needs for transplant recipients.
- Ovarian cancer research aimed at better understanding the genetic basis for the disease with an ultimate goal of improving care for disease recurrence.
- Salary support for a PhD-trained scientist to do patient-centered skin cancer research.
- Research examining the role of midlife obesity in Alzheimer’s disease.
- A study investigating the use of pain medication after spine surgery.
- A clinical trial of early stage pancreatic cancer aimed at matching tumor type with one of six available chemotherapies.
Education for Staff, Physicians and Patients:
- A new prenatal education program for expectant parents with a goal of improving outcomes for some of Milwaukee’s most vulnerable infants.
- Tuition support and educational conference assistance for 14 staff funded by the new Bobbe Petasnick Fund for Staff Education.
- Staff attendance at educational conferences focusing on spinal cord injury, cystic fibrosis, genetic counseling, cancer survivorship, breast cancer, diabetes, lymphedema, sports medicine, pulmonary hypertension and hyperbaric therapy. Major sponsorship of heart and vascular, liver/pancreas, traumatic brain injury and vascular access symposia, bringing together physicians and staff to share best practices.
- Three fellowships providing advanced training to physicians interested in underserved specialties including cancer care and the neurosciences.
- Nursing support including four $2,500 nursing scholarships, awarded for the sixth-consecutive year, and funding for a new, nursing research internship.
Support the Hope to Health Campaign
With your support, we’re committed to solving the toughest problems confronting human health—at every stage of the life cycle—and with an unwavering dedication to turn hope into health.