The mission of the Froedtert and the Medical College of Wisconsin’s Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program is to provide high quality academic and clinical education that equips interns with the technical knowledge, procedural skills and professional foundations to provide high quality, compassionate medical imaging.
Graduates will be able to adapt to varied healthcare settings requiring critical thinking with diverse patient populations. Furthermore, each will possess the ability to effectively interact with care teams in providing the best possible patient-centered care.
Please check back here for additional information and the program application.
The goal of the Froedtert Diagnostic Medical Sonography program is to prepare competent entry-level General and Vascular sonographers in the cognitive (Knowledge), Psychomotor (Skills) and Affective (Behavioral) learning Domains. Additionally, as part of our educational commitment to the student and with the continuous quality improvement as our basis, the DMS program is designed to provide:
- Clinical Competency
- The student will operate imaging equipment and accessory devices to produce quality sonographic studies.
- The student will practice principles of safety while performing sonographic procedures on children and adults.
- The student will demonstrate effective verbal/nonverbal communication skills with patients and healthcare staff.
- Critical Thinking
- The student will demonstrate the ability to solve clinical problems and assessment skills necessary to provide patient care.
- The student will demonstrate the ability to make decisions and use independent judgment.
- The student will discuss and demonstrate professional and ethical behavior.
- The student will support the profession’s code of ethics and comply with the profession’s scope of practice.
Application for the Registry: American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Students in good standing who have met all the clinical and didactic requirements of the program will be eligible to apply for registry examinations in the specialties of Abdomen, Obstetrics and Gynecology, and Vascular technology. The registry examination is computer based. The student will schedule with a testing center to take the exam.
The School of Diagnostic Medical Sonography will exceed the JRC-DMS standards regarding ARDMS pass rate and job placement rates by setting the following standards:
- 85% of all graduates will successfully complete AB, OB or RVT examination on the first attempt and 100% of all graduates will successfully complete the examination within two attempts.
- 85% of all students entering their second year will complete all second year courses and the program.
- The average course completion and program completion rate for first-year students will be at least 75%.
- A job placement rate of 75% within 12 months of graduation.
- Attrition rates will be reviewed annually and every attempt to keep attrition levels at no more than 30% will be made.
For more information on the profession, please go to the following sites:
- American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA
Admission to the school is open to all qualified individuals. We reaffirm commitment to the principle of equal opportunity regardless of age, race, creed, disability, marital status, sex, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, arrest record, conviction record, veteran status or handicap. The program is evaluated continually; reviewed as necessary to keep up with changes in the demands of the profession and to better educate and meet the needs of the students. The program is committed to continuous quality improvement and producing technologists who are an asset to the Allied Health Profession by meeting and exceeding standards set by institutional and accreditation bodies.
*Program Accreditation by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography has been applied for.
6021 University Boulevard, Suite 500
Ellicott City, MD 21043