Pain Stewardship Coordinator
Pain Stewardship Scorecard, Quality Improvement, Surveillance, Pain Consult Service
- PGY1 Program
- Pain Stewardship (elective)
- Medication-Use Evaluation Requirement (longitudinal requirement)
- Writing Project Requirement (required component of administrative learning experience)
- PGY2 Medication-Use Safety and Policy, Critical Care, Emergency Medicine, Oncology
- Advanced Pain Stewardship (elective)
Pharmacy School/Graduation Year
- St. Louis College of Pharmacy, Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy, 2002
- St. Louis College of Pharmacy, Doctor of Pharmacy 2003
Residency Training Program Location/Year
Froedtert Hospital, Pharmacy Practice, 2004
Pain and sedation, perioperative management, professional development of peers, involvement with SCCM CPP Section, project management, research and education
- Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM), CPP Section
- Vizient, Pharmacy Research Committee
- Pharmacy Society of Wisconsin (PSW), Health-System Pharmacy Advisory Board
Awards and Certifications
- Presidential Citation, Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2020
- Star Research Achievement Award (Pharmacology), “Multicenter Retrospective Review of Ketamine Use in the Intensive Care Unit”, SCCM Annual Congress (Role: Co-investigator), 2020
- Star Research Achievement Award (Pharmacology), “Effects of Ketamine on Pain, Sedation, and Delirium in the Intensive Care Unit”, SCCM Annual Congress (Role: Co-investigator), 2020
- Silver Metal Research Award (Pharmacology), “Pharmacist Avoidance or Reductions in Medication Costs in Emergently Ill Patients: PHARM-EM Study”, SCCM Annual Congress (Role: Co-investigator), 2020
- Star Research Achievement Award (Pharmacology), “Pharmacist Avoidance or Reductions in Medication Costs in Critically Ill Patients: PHARM-CRIT Study”, SCCM Annual Congress (Role: Co-investigator), 2020
- Best of ASPEN Critical Care Research Award, “A Phase III Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing Early Trophic Enteral Nutrition to ‘No Enteral Nutrition’ in Mechanically Ventilated Patients with Septic Shock”, ASPEN, Nutrition Science & Practice Conference (Role: Co-investigator), 2019
- Fellowship, American College of Critical Care Medicine, Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2017
- Star Research Achievement Award, “Evaluation of sodium bicarbonate administration during in-hospital cardiac arrest”, SCCM Annual Congress (Role: Senior Investigator), 2017
- Master Preceptor Award, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, 2016
- Excellence in Organ & Tissue Donation Award, Blood Center of Wisconsin in partnership with the Wisconsin Donor Network, 2016
- Member Spotlight, SCCM Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacology Section Newsletter. 2016:16(3);5.
- Larry Boh Clinical Instructor Excellence Award, University of Wisconsin School of Pharmacy, 2012
- Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist (BCPS), 2010
- Peppard WJ, Killian A, Biesboer A. Pharmacological considerations in acute and chronic liver disease. In: Nanchal RS, Subramanian RM, eds. Hepatic Critical Care. New York, NY. Springer, 2018: 311-332.
- Peppard WJ, Kim A. Prevention and treatment of venous thromboembolism in critically ill patients. In: Dobesh P, ed. Critical Care Self-Assessment Program, 2020 Book I. Cardiovascular Critical Care. Lenexa, KS. American College of Clinical Pharmacy, 2020:86-120.
Peer Reviewed Papers
- Peppard WJ, Weigelt JA. The role of linezolid for the treatment of complicated skin and soft tissue infections. Expert Review of Anti-Infective Therapy. 2006;4(3):357-366.
- Lundeen SJ, Otterson MF, Telford GL et al (#5). Clostridium difficile enteritis: An early post-operative complication in irritable bowel disease patients following colectomy. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. 2007;11(2):138-142.
- Peppard WJ, Johnston CJ, Urmanski AM. Pharmacologic options for central nervous system infections caused by resistant Gram-positive organisms. Expert Review of Anti-Infective Therapy. 2008;6(1):83-99.
- Peppard WJ, Schuenke CD. Iclaprim, a diaminopyrimidine dihydrofolate reductase inhibitor for the potential treatment of antibiotic-resistant staphylococcal infections. Current Opinion in Investigational Drugs. 2008;9(2):210-225.
- Herrmann DJ, Peppard WJ, Ledeboer NA et al. Linezolid for the treatment of drug-resistant infections. Expert Review of Anti-Infective Therapy. 2008;6(6):825-848.
- Peppard WJ, Daniels A, Fehrenbacher L et al. Evidence based approach to the treatment of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Infection and Drug Resistance. 2009;2:27-40.
- Busse KH, Oltrogge KM, Oxencis CJ et al (#4). Dalbavancin: a review of its use in the treatment of gram-positive infections. Clinical Medicine Insights: Therapeutics. 2010;2:7-13.
- Bonkowski J, Daniels AR, Peppard WJ. Role of telavancin in treatment of skin and skin structure infections. Clinical, Cosmetic Investigational Dermatology. 2010;3:127-33.
- Scudday T, Brasel K, Webb T et al (#8). Safety and efficacy of prophylactic anticoagulation in patients with traumatic brain injury. J Amer Coll Surg. 2011;213(1):148-153.
- Peppard WJ, Peppard SR, Somberg L. Optimizing drug therapy in the surgical intensive care unit. Surg Clin N Amer. 2012;92(6):1573–1620.
- Peppard WJ, Ledeboer NA. Implementation of polymerase chain reaction to rule out Clostridium difficile infection is associated with reduced empiric antibiotic duration of therapy. Hospital Pharmacy. 2014;49(7):639-643.
- Patel J, Kozeniecki M, Biesboer A et al (#4). Early enteral nutrition is associated with improved outcomes in patients with septic shock. J Intens Care Med. 2016;31(7):471-7.
- Juul JJ, Mullins CF, Peppard WJ et al. New developments in the treatment of acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections- effective use of dalbavancin. Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management. 2016;12:225-232.
- Peppard WJ, Eberle D, Kugler N et al. Association between pre-operative cefazolin dose and surgical site infection in obese patients. Surg Infect. 2017;18(4):485-490. [Epub 2016 Dec 1].
- Feih JT, Peppard WJ, Katz MB. Establishing pharmacist involvement on a rapid response team: A post-interventional study at an academic medical center. AJHP. 2017;74(5 S1):S10-S16.
- Carroll T, Peppard WJ, Herrmann D, Javorsky BR, Wang TS, Patel H, Zarnecki K, Findling JW. Continuous etomidate infusion for the management of severe hypercortisolism ACTH-dependent cushing’s syndrome: validation of a standard protocol. J Endocr Soc. 2018 Oct 26;3(1):1-12.
- Carver TW, Kugler NW, Juul J, Peppard WJ, Madsen Drescher K, Somberg L, Szabo A, Yin Z, Paul J. Ketamine infusion for pain control in adult patients with multiple rib fractures: Results of a randomized controlled trial. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2019 Feb;86(2):181-188.
- Mullins CF, Kugler N, Luc M, Peppard WJ, Paul LS. Adjunct ketamine infusions provide improved acute traumatic and post-surgical pain management. J Pharmacol Med Chem. 2018;2(3):36-8.
- Lewin JJ 3rd, Cook A, Golzales C, Merola D, Neyens R, Peppard WJ, Brophy G, Kurczewski L, Giarratano M, Makii J, Rowe S, Tesoro EP, Castle A, Clark S, Ziai WC. Current practices of intraventricular antibiotic therapy in the treatment of meningitis and ventriculitis: Results from a multicenter retrospective cohort study. J Neurocrit Care. 2018 Nov 16 [Epub ahead of print].
- Kugler NW, Juul J, Peppard WJ, Carver TW. Reply to letter: Ketamine infusion for pain control in adult patients with multiple rib fractures. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2019 Oct;87(4):1001-1003.
- Kugler NW, Carver TW, Juul J, Peppard WJ, Boyle K, Madsen Drescher K, Somberg L, Szabo A, Rein L, Somberg LB, Paul Js. Ketamine infusion for pain control in elderly patients with multiple rib fractures: Results of a randomized controlled trial. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2019 Aug 14.[Epub ahead of print]
- Patel JJ, Kozeniecki M, Peppard WJ, Peppard SR, Zellner-Jones S, Graf J, Szabo A, Heyland D. A phase III pilot randomized controlled trial comparing early trophic enteral nutrition to ‘no enteral nutrition’ in mechanically ventilated patients with septic shock. J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2019 Sep 19. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bou Zein Eddine S, Cooper Johnson K, Ericksen F, Brookes CC, Peppard WJ, Revolinski SL, Carver TW. Antibiotic duration and surgical site infection prevention in traumatic mandible fracture. J Surg Res. 2020 Mar;247:524-529.
- Nanchal R, Alhazzani W, Karvellas C, Hollenberg S, Peppard WJ, Singbartl K, Truwit J, Al-Khafaji AH, Alquraini M, Alshamsi F, Belley-Cote E, Cartin-Ceba R, Dionne JC, Galusca DM, Huang DT, Hyzy RC, Junek M, Kandiah P, Killian AJ, Kumar G, Morgan R, Morris PE, Olsen J, Sieracki R, Steadman R, Taylor B, Subramanian R. Guidelines for the management of adult acute and acute-on-chronic liver failure in the ICU: Cardiovascular, endocrine, hematologic, pulmonary and renal consideration. Crit Care Med 2020;48:e173-e191.
- Nanchal R, Alhazzani W, Karvellas C, Hollenberg S, Peppard WJ, Singbartl K, Truwit J, Al-Khafaji AH, Alquraini M, Alshamsi F, Belley-Cote E, Cartin-Ceba R, Dionne JC, Galusca DM, Huang DT, Hyzy RC, Junek M, Kandiah P, Killian AJ, Kumar G, Morgan R, Morris PE, Olsen J, Sieracki R, Steadman R, Taylor B, Subramanian R. Guidelines for the management of adult acute and acute-on-chronic liver failure in the ICU: Cardiovascular, endocrine, hematologic, pulmonary and renal consideration: Executive summary. Crit Care Med 2020;48:415-419.
- Carter C, Betthauser K, Peppard WJ. Exploration of an association between UFH dosing based on estimated blood volume and venous thromboembolism and bleeding in the underweight and critically ill. Ann Pharmacother 2020;Feb 28 [Epub ahead of print].
- Wallskog K, Lauderdale S, Peppard WJ, Kirkwood C, Taylor S, Johnston S. Inpatient perioperative utilization of intravenous acetaminophen at Vizient partner hospitals: A national survey of pharmacists. Hosp Pharm. Accepted April 2020.
- Peppard WJ. Use of linezolid for treatment of complex skin infections. Hospital Pharmacy Europe. 2007;35:19-23.
- Peppard WJ. Dalbavancin in complicated skin and skin structure infections. Drugs. 2008;68(5):649-651.
- Peppard WJ. Is our antibiotic pipeline drying up? Journal of the Pharmacy Society of Wisconsin. 2011;14(1):64.
- Schlitt B, Peppard WJ. Preceptor Series: Avoiding “pimping” makes you a better preceptor. Journal of the Pharmacy Society of Wisconsin. 2016;19(4):27-29.
- Peppard WJ, Carver T, DeCleene JD. Ketamine for the management of acute pain and agitation in the ICU: Future, fiction, or just another drug-induced hallucination? Annals of Pharmacology and Pharmaceutics. 2017; 2(11):1059-60.
- Zepke, Peppard WJ, Revolinski S. Vaccination Practices in Patients Undergoing Splenectomy Secondary to Traumatic Injury. Journal of the Pharmacy Society of Wisconsin. 2016;20(5):50-53.
- 36. Vizient Expert Advisory Team. Improve safety with lessons learned from opioid-related events requiring naloxone. Vizient patient safety organization safety alert. Vizient 2019. In press.
- Oltrogge K, Peppard WJ, Saleh M et al. Phenytoin removal by continuous venovenous hemofiltration. Ann Pharmacother. 2013;47(9):1218-1222.
- Feih JT, Ledeboer NA, Peppard WJ. A 5 year old male with multiple pustules covering the entire scalp. J Clin Microbiol. 2014;52(4):1027,1312.
- Feih JT, Herrmann DJ, Peppard WJ et al. Clinically significant removal of levetiracetam in a patient on continuous venovenous hemofiltration. J Case Reports in Medical Science. 2016;1(1):25-30.
Biking, golf, hiking, water sports, grilling/smoking, craft beer tasting, and genealogy
Favorite Things to Do in Milwaukee
Attend festivals, enjoy nature and the lakefront with the family