When heart disease progresses to needing intervention, our team of cardiac surgeons and interventional cardiologists can offer patients the full range of cardiac surgery procedures. With access to the latest surgical techniques, technology and devices, we can often provide patients access to minimally invasive, or less invasive procedures, that are not widely available.
Our team takes a collaborative approach to patient care, working together to determine the best option for patients, opting for the least invasive technique to deliver the best possible outcome for each patient.
Cardiac Surgery Options
Our cardiac surgeons and interventional cardiologists are nationally recognized for delivering innovative cardiac care with exceptional outcomes. We offer some of the most advanced treatment options available, including:
- Coronary artery bypass grafting – (CABG) CABG is a procedure to treat coronary artery disease that has reduced blood flow to the heart. Our team is skilled in many approaches to CABG, allowing us to individualize our treatment recommendation based on the severity of coronary artery disease.
- Heart valve surgery – Our team of cardiovascular specialists provides advanced treatment for all four of the heart’s valves. Given our experience in heart valve surgery, we often will offer valve repair when others may only recommend replacement. We provide patients access to the latest treatments, including the latest devices and minimally invasive techniques.
- Aortic surgery – Our team is highly skilled in treating both emergent aorta repair, as well as aneurysms that have been monitored over a period of time. Techniques included minimally invasive and open surgical repair.
- Arrhythmia (atrial fibrillation) surgery – While arrhythmias can often be managed long-term with medication, for some patients surgical intervention may be recommended to reduce symptoms and risk of stroke. Our team provides patients access to latest devices, including Watchman, a device that can reduce the risk of stroke for some patients, and expertise in minimally maze procedures, which alleviate symptoms completely.
- Ventricular Assist Device and Total Artificial Heart Placement – We take a comprehensive approach to heart failure and offer patients the full scope of treatment. If heart failure progresses to needing surgical intervention we have access to the latest devices, including ventricular assist devices and total artificial hearts. Depending on the patients condition, these devices can be used as destination therapy or a bridge to transplant. Our VAD Program is recognized by The Joint Commission as an Adult VAD Destination Therapy Program.
- Heart Transplantation – Our team of cardiothoracic surgeons includes some of the most experienced heart transplant surgeons in the nation. Our program have delivered exceptional outcomes for patients for more than 30 years.
- Surgery for adults with congenital heart disease – Patients with congenital heart disease may benefit from a number of treatments performed by our team, including valve surgery or arrhythmia management. In addition, we offer specialty expertise for atrial septal defects and patent foraman ovale.
Minimally Invasive Heart Surgery
Medical advancement and new approaches to cardiac treatment has changed the approach to many cardiovascular procedures, which previously were treated through an incision in the chest. Today, many patients can take advantage of minimally invasive, catheter-based procedures that allow your heart to be repaired with small incision.
Our heart surgeons offer a range of minimally invasive cardiovascular procedures including mitral valve repair with MitraClip, transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) for aortic stenosis and minimally invasive maze procedures for atrial fibrillation.
Advanced Cardiac Diagnostics
As part of an academic medical center, our cardiovascular physicians are at the forefront of diagnosing cardiac diseases. This includes diagnostic catheterization procedures, cardiac MRI, echocardiograms and electrocardiograms.
Cardiac Second Opinion Program
If you or a loved one have been diagnosed with cardiac disease and intervention has been recommended, we offer a Cardiac Second Opinion Program that allows you to learn more about your disease, confirm your diagnosis and explore treatment options. To request a second opinion, call 800-272-3666.
As the only academic medical center in eastern Wisconsin, our physicians are involved in cutting-edge research and participate in local and national clinical trials that can provide patients treatment options that may not be available elsewhere.