Patients diagnosed with many neurovascular conditions can explore additional or alternative treatment options through our Second Opinion Program. Peace of mind and answers to questions can often be found through consultation with our team of stroke and neurovascular specialists. Among the best experts in the country, our physicians are involved in the latest research and use state-of-the-science technology for diagnosis and treatment.
One of our nurse coordinators will ask questions about your medical history, help you gather necessary medical records and schedule an appointment with the neurovascular expert that best fits your needs. We will work directly with insurance providers to make sure visits are covered.
Which Patients Can Benefit from a Second Opinion?
Patients with the following neurovascular conditions of the head, neck, and spine may benefit from a second opinion:
- Brain aneurysms
- Brain and spine arteriovenous malformations (AVMs) and arteriovenous fistulas (AVFs)
- Intracranial stenosis
- Carotid artery stenosis
- Carotid cavernous fistulas
- Vertebral artery stenosis
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Vertebral body fracture
- Intracranial venous sinus stenosis
- Stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA) from intracranial atherosclerotic disease or carotid disease
- Family history of a first-degree relative with an arteriovenous malformation (AVM) or brain aneurysm (screening evaluations for patients are offered)
What to Expect
Your first appointment will be a comprehensive session with a physician and nurse to discuss your condition, review prior test results and explain initial recommendations for treatment. More than one visit may be needed to develop recommendations that are right for you. Our physicians will work to ensure we do not repeat tests or treatments unless absolutely necessary. In some instances, we may hold our recommendations until after a formal presentation of your condition to a multidisciplinary team of physicians.
If you decide future care through Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin is right for you, our physicians and staff will work with you to coordinate your treatment plan.