Interventional pulmonology focuses on the use of advanced and minimally invasive therapeutic and diagnostic techniques to treat pulmonary disease. Our specialists are trained in a number of interventional pulmonology treatments, including:
- Airway stent placement
- Biopsy of lung or lymph node
- Bronchial thermoplasty
- Bronchoalveolar lavage
- Bronchoscopic lung volume reduction for emphysema
- Early diagnosis, staging, and treatment of lung cancer using endobronchial ultrasound and navigation bronchoscopy
- Flexible bronchoscopy
- Indwelling pleural catheter
- Rigid bronchoscopy
- Treatment of airway obstruction with laser and other therapies
- Treatment of tracheobronchomalacia
- Treatment of tracheal stenosis
Our advanced technology allows us to tailor our treatment to each individual. Two recent advances in technology are extending the reach of our interventional pulmonology procedures.
- Endobronchial ultrasound system (EBUS): An ultrasound probe on the tip of a bronchoscope allows a doctor to biopsy lymph nodes with more precision. In experienced hands, EBUS increases the likelihood of a correct diagnosis significantly.
- Electromagnetic navigation bronchoscopy: An advanced system that guides the bronchoscope farther than traditional bronchoscopy allows. This system permits biopsy of hard-to-reach abnormal areas of the lung, which would otherwise require more invasive testing.
Other advanced interventional pulmonology technologies include:
- Endobronchial brachytherapy
- Photodynamic therapy
- Silicone, metallic and hybrid airway stents
- Thermal techniques including argon plasma coagulation (APC), electrocautery, laser and cryotherapy
Multidisciplinary Team Approach
We have board-certified and world-renowned interventional pulmonologists who provide minimally invasive and personalized treatments for a variety of lung and airway diseases. The interventional pulmonology team includes nurses, surgeons, physician assistants, cardiovascular technicians, dietitians, therapists, lab technologists and other professionals. Together, our goal is to offer you personalized, minimally invasive and expeditious care.
Nationally Ranked and High Performing
St. Joseph's Hospital ranks nationally in pulmonology and lung surgery in U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals list.
Additionally, Froedtert Hospital is recognized by U.S. News & World Report as high performing in four adult specialties and six procedures and conditions, including pulmonology and lung surgery.