Whether for a chronic condition or temporary illness, pulmonary conditions require highly-trained expert specialists. Our pulmonary providers are widely-known for offering high-quality treatment for a variety of conditions and advanced, coordinated care for many pulmonary diseases. We have the resources, facilities, technology and expertise to meet all of your pulmonary care needs.
We offer several specialty treatment options depending on the severity of your condition. Your pulmonary care team will help you determine what treatment options will give you the best outcome.
- Interventional pulmonology
- Non-cystic fibrosis bronchiectasis
- Open Airs — treatment for respiratory tract disorders
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Smoking cessation
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) for severe lung failure
- Lung transplant
Lung Surgery (Thoracic Surgery)
Our thoracic surgeons are skilled in the surgical management of a variety of conditions involving the lungs, esophagus, diaphragm and chest well. We deliver leading-edge treatments including minimally invasive video-assisted and robotic surgery techniques. We offer state-of-the-art procedures to treat all types of thoracic disorders and diseases, including:
- Advanced-stage lung disease
- Benign and malignant tracheal disorders
- Chronic pulmonary embolisms
- Chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension or CTEPH
- Diaphragm hernia
- Esophageal diseases, including esophageal cancer, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and motility disorders
- Lung cancer
- Noncancerous lung disorders
- Rib fractures requiring surgical repair
- Thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS)
Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery Option
Our team of providers aims to deliver the least invasive option available that will deliver the best possible outcome for patients. This dedication has led to the availability of video-assisted and robotic surgery options for a number of thoracic conditions.
Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgical (VATS) procedures can help identify potential lesions. The minimally invasive surgical approach is effective in treating early-detected lung cancer, but if the mass or nodule is very small or not very solid, it may be more difficult to remove. As a result, our radiologists begin injecting a small amount of iodinated dye into the mass under CT scan guidance. The surgeon then uses a fluoroscope in the operating room to look for the dye marker to more easily find the nodule and perform a wedge resection — the removal of a triangle shaped section of lung, including the suspicious mass and some normal surrounding tissue. This technique can shorten the procedure and increase the certainty of a successful biopsy.
Robotic-assisted thoracic surgery provides surgeons increased visual magnification that facilitates precise, complicated procedures through small incisions. Our team has a high-level of experience in robotic-assisted surgery, allowing us to offer patients this minimally invasive option for a variety of thoracic conditions.
Among the robotic procedures we offer are:
- Diaphragmatic plication
- Esophageal myotomy for achalasia
- Laparoscopic antireflux procedures for gastrointestinal reflux disease
- Lobectomy for lung cancer
- Paraesophageal hernia repair
- Resection of the first rib for thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS)
- Resection of mediastinal masses
- Thoracoscopic sympathectomy for hyperhidrosis
- Thymectomy for myasthenia gravis
Like other minimally invasive procedures, the benefits to patients undergoing a robotic-assisted or video-assisted procedure include reduced scarring, less pain, quicker recovery and shorter length of time in the hospital.
Our team of thoracic providers also offers:
- Preoperative consultations
- Second opinions
- Clinical trial participation
Virtual Visits Are Available
Safe and convenient virtual visits by video let you get the care you need via a mobile device, tablet or computer wherever you are. We'll assess your condition and develop a treatment plan right away. To schedule a virtual visit, call 414-777-7700.
Recognized as High Performing by U.S. News & World Report
Froedtert Hospital is recognized by U.S. News & World Report as high performing in pulmonology and lung surgery, lung cancer surgery and pneumonia care. Froedtert Hospital, Froedtert Menomonee Falls Hospital and Froedtert West Bend Hospital are all recognized as high performing for COPD.