Here are some tips for how you can improve your sleep-related habits and get a better night's sleep.
- Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy. Find something relaxing, but not stimulating, to take your mind off of worries about sleep.
- If you are not asleep after 20 minutes, get out of the bed. Find something else to do in another room that will make you feel relaxed.
- Begin rituals that help you relax each night before bed.
- Get up at the same time every morning, even on weekends and holidays.
- Get a full night’s sleep on a regular basis.
- Avoid taking naps.
- Keep a regular daily schedule.
- Don’t read, write, eat, watch TV, or talk on the phone in bed.
- Do not have any caffeine after lunch.
- Do not have a beer, a glass of wine, or any other alcohol within six hours of your bedtime.
- Do not have a cigarette or any other source of nicotine before bedtime.
- Do not go to bed hungry, but don’t eat a big meal near bedtime either.
- Avoid any tough exercise within six hours of your bedtime.
- Avoid sleeping pills, or use them cautiously.
- Try to get rid of or deal with things that make you worry.
- Make your bedroom quiet, dark, and a little bit cool.
Source: Per the American Academy of Sleep Medicine
Simplified Wellness: More Confidence in Every Choice
Find your way to better wellness aids easily and confidently. In the Wellness Marketplace, Vale Health prioritizes your trust in every product category. Each selection is intended to help you feel more confident and at ease as you pursue a healthier, happier life.