The Early Interventions for Pregnancy and Parenting with Spinal Cord Injuries Program helps you have a more positive and successful experience with pregnancy and parenting.
We work with you and your support system to:
- Increase your knowledge of available resources to overcome challenges of pregnancy and parenting.
- Learn strategies to prepare your body for pregnancy and parenting.
- Provide options for adapting physical environments and childcare items.
- Ensure an integrated team approach to support your pregnancy and parenting.
- Promote psychosocial well-being, social engagement and confidence while parenting.
We help you get physical therapy orders early in your pregnancy. It will give you the time you need to:
- Identify any changes you need in technique and equipment.
- Get your body for pregnancy and child care.
- Request occupational therapy orders.
- Find resources for proper equipment to help with child care.
Therapists will identify medical and physical considerations for both parents, including:
- Adaptive equipment
- Additional caregivers and resources
- Physical changes in your body
- Potential complications related to spinal cord injury
- Exercises to prepare your body
- Preparing your environment
- Considerations for caring for your baby
This guide is written specially for adults with spinal cord injury, brain injury or stroke.