If you are experiencing a stroke, brain aneurysm or other neurovascular condition, your best option for recovery is our Stroke & Neurovascular Program.
- Balance. Sudden loss of coordination or balance.
- Eyes. Sudden change in vision.
- Face. Weakness on one side or facial droop.
- Arm or leg. Weakness or numbness.
- Speech difficulty. Slurred or trouble understanding speech.
- Terrible headache. Sudden onset.
If you have sudden onset of any of these symptoms, call 911 right away!
Reduce Your Stroke Risk
Did you know 80% of strokes could be prevented? You can reduce your risk of stroke by taking these steps.
- Control your blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugars.
- Avoid smoking.
- Eat a healthy diet.
Froedtert Acute Stroke Team
The Froedtert Acute Stroke Team is ready 24 hours a day to respond to the acute needs of stroke patients. Members have the training and expertise to treat all types of stroke safely and efficiently and a neurologist is available onsite around the clock.
Acute Stroke Team Facts
Our stroke experts offer patients the following advantages:
- 24-7 emergency department coverage by stroke specialists
- Specialized protocols for rapid evaluation
- Average door-to-CT (diagnosis) time less than 30 minutes
- Average door-to-tPA time less than 40 minutes
- More procedures for stroke intervention are performed at Froedtert Hospital than any other hospital in Wisconsin.
Team members include critical care neurologists, interventional neurologists, neurosurgeons, emergency medicine physicians and nurse specialists – all of the experts needed for complete emergency stroke care.
Certified by The Joint Commission
The Joint Commission recognizes Froedtert Hospital as a Comprehensive Stroke Center. They have also recognized Community Memorial Hospital and St. Joseph's Hospital as Primary Stroke Centers. These certifications demonstrate our commitment to providing you or someone you love with the best care in the event of a stroke. Learn more about The Joint Commission certifications.
When Seconds Count
As eastern Wisconsin’s only certified Adult Level I Trauma Center, physicians and staff at our Emergency Department are specially trained in stroke recognition. They also are experts in emergency treatment for ruptured brain aneurysms and raised intracranial pressure, an increase in pressure inside the skull that results from or causes brain injury.
We treat stroke at the following locations:
- Froedtert Hospital, Comprehensive Stroke Center, Milwaukee
- Community Memorial Hospital, Primary Stroke Center, Menomonee Falls
- St. Joseph's Hospital, Primary Stroke Center, West Bend
We collaborate with Flight For Life for emergency air transport and work with hospitals throughout the area to transfer patients or bring physician expertise to them.