The college student application window is closed.
You must be at least 18 years old, currently enrolled as an undergraduate student at a college or university, and able to commit to volunteering for 4 hours, one day a week for the full semester.
It is very important to know your class, work and activity schedule before you complete your application. We ask that you be realistic about your other commitments as we match you with an open shift based on the availability you provide on your application. Schedules will not be changed once a volunteer begins the program.
Volunteer shifts vary according to department but you will serve a four-hour shift, one day a week in your department. Most volunteer opportunities are available Monday through Friday during regular business hours. There are limited evening and weekend opportunities.
Our volunteer opportunities are based on department service needs so we match your skills, availability and experience to our current needs. If an opportunity is available, we will contact you regarding the next steps. If we are not able to make a match for you now, we will notify you.
Once you have volunteered with us for a full semester and met the 60-hour commitment, you are welcome to stay for the following semester without reapplying to the program.
What You Can Expect While Volunteering
To help you decide whether or not our program is the right fit for you, here is more information about the volunteer experience we offer.
- Who you will be interacting with as you volunteer
Volunteers primarily interact with the clinical care team, department support staff, patients, their family members and visitors. You are not likely to have frequent interaction with doctors or other clinical staff.
- What you might be doing as part of your role
While all the roles are a bit different, they are focused around small, nonclinical tasks we can do to improve our patients’ comfort and experience.
- Where you may be volunteering
We place volunteers in different volunteer roles throughout the hospital including inpatient floors and the emergency department.
- How the process works
We accept applications for new college volunteers twice a year – before the start of the fall and spring semesters. See the section below for important details related to our next application cycle and volunteering session. We select a placement for you based on a number of factors including our needs and your skills and availability. You will receive your placement information via e-mail.
- Minimum of 18 years of age and enrolled in college as a full or part-time student.
- Commit to 60 minimum service hours for the semester to continue active status. A volunteer with 2 no call-shows or absences will be exited from the volunteer program.
- Complete online application.
- Comply with Froedtert Hospital background check and Occupational Health Screening.
- Complete orientation requirements within the specified timeframe.
- Adhere to Froedtert Hospital and Volunteer Services Policies.
- Maintain patient confidentiality.
- Program starts no later than the week of Jan. 20, 2020, and the program ends no earlier than the week of May 9, 2020.
When and How to Apply
Before you apply, ask yourself these questions.
- Have I carefully and realistically considered my schedule to make sure that I am able to commit to a weekly volunteer time the full semester?
- Will I be able to treat my volunteer commitment as seriously as I treat work or school obligations?
- Am I able to complete the onboarding process within the specified time frame so that I am able to begin volunteering at the start of the semester?
If you answered "yes" to all the questions, please continue and apply. If you answered "no" to any of the questions, we may not meet your goals as a volunteer.
Application Submission Deadline for the current semester was Nov. 29, 2019.
Late submissions and incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Application information may not be changed once submitted, including schedule/availability.
Important Dates Related to the Next Application and Volunteering Session
- Friday, Nov. 15, 2019 (7 a.m.): Application opens for spring semester volunteering. Applications are considered in the order in which they are received, so applying earlier in the window increases your chances of being placed.
- Friday, Nov. 29, 2019 (3 p.m.): Application closes for spring semester volunteering.
- Monday, Dec. 2 – Friday, Dec. 6, 2019: All applicants receive email notifications about acceptance which will include assigned activity and shift.
- Monday, Dec. 16, 2019: Initial Onboarding Session (Mandatory) — Completion of background checks and Occupational Health Screening. Distribution of orientation handbooks.
- Monday, Jan. 13, 2020: Final Onboarding Session (Mandatory) — Receive ID badge, uniform, orientation to Volunteer Services.
- Monday, Jan. 20, 2020: First day of Spring semester volunteering.
- Saturday, May 9, 2020: Last day of Spring semester volunteering. Let us know if you want to continue your volunteer experience!
Things You Should Have Ready Before You Apply
Class, work, club and any other schedules: When you submit your availability, we will place you into a role and shift based on the hours you offer. Once you receive your assignment, we are not able to make changes.
If you receive a placement, you should be prepared to:
- Attend the mandatory initial session on Monday, Dec. 16, 2019.
- Provide your Social Security number for completion of the background check.
- Attend the mandatory final session on Monday, Jan. 13, 2020.
- Volunteer each week Jan. 20 through May 9, 2020.