Breast Cancer Patient Support Resources
The Breast Cancer Program provides a full range of support services designed to support women at every step of their cancer journey.
Women facing a diagnosis of breast cancer are often overwhelmed by information, treatment options, life changes and emotional stress. A new patient coordinator, working closely with nurses and other staff from the Breast Cancer Program, makes sure patients get all the appointments, tests, treatments, services and support they need.
Breast Cancer Cognitive Evaluation Service
Some cancer patients experience changes in cognition or their ability to think. The Breast Cancer Cognitive Evaluation Service is a unique resource that helps detect cognitive changes early and provide women with assistance and interventions to alleviate cognitive challenges.
Women with breast cancer and their families can also find emotional and social support:
- ABCD, or After Breast Cancer Diagnosis - an organization that provides much-needed support. ABCD pairs newly diagnosed women with mentors who help women get through treatment and beyond.
- Cancer Caregivers Support Group – a group that provides emotional support, sharing and information for anyone caring for a loved one who has been diagnosed with cancer.
Find out more about cancer support groups.
High Risk Breast Cancer Program
Women with a strong family history of breast cancer (or any women who are concerned about breast disease) will benefit from knowing more about their real risk. Our experienced team of counselors will assess your risk factors and help you understand your true risk status. They work with you to develop a personalized health plan that can help reduce your risk of breast cancer. This service includes:
- Documentation of your family health history and personal medical history
- Thorough clinical breast examination
- Consultation with the Cancer Genetics Screening Program (including genetic counseling and BRCA testing when warranted)
- Nutritional counseling
- Individualized recommendations and education