Health Insurance Marketplace
In 2014, most individuals under age 65 will be required to obtain health insurance through their employer, through Medicaid or through the Health Insurance Marketplace.
If you are on BadgerCare+, Medicaid, HIRSP or are uninsured, you can apply for health insurance by visiting www.healthcare.gov or by calling 800-318-2596.
Open enrollment started Oct. 1 and runs through March 31, 2014. Those who qualify for Badgercare can enroll at anytime.
The Health Insurance Marketplace is a one-stop shop for public or private health insurance.
- Compare insurance plans.
- Choose private healthcare coverage or Medicaid/Badgercare.
- Apply for discounts (tax credits) on insurance premiums.
Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin Marketplace Hotline
Our Marketplace hotline for our hospitals is 414-805-6206.
Our Marketplace hotline for our health centers is 877-443-5176.
We can help.
- Answer questions.
- Learn more about your health insurance options.
- Get face-to-face assistance enrolling in the Health Insurance Marketplace.
Choosing a plan that includes Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin.
Patients enrolling in the Marketplace who wish to have a plan that includes both Froedtert and the Medical College of Wisconsin, the plan they should consider choosing would be a Common Ground Healthcare Cooperative EMPOWER Plan (there are eight plan choices in EMPOWER).
Dial 2-1-1, if you need more information on where you can go for help.
Milwaukee Enrollment Directory (PDF)
Wisconsin Enrollment Directory (PDF)
You should never have to pay for enrollment assistance. It is always free.
Milwaukee County Health Insurance Enrollment and Education Events
What You Need to Know About the Health Insurance Marketplace
- There are low cost and free plans, and you may get a discount, based on how much money you make.
- You cannot be turned down because of a preexisting condition like diabetes, asthma or mental illness.
- All insurance plans will cover doctor visits, hospitalizations, mother & baby care, emergency room visits, mental health care and prescriptions.
- All plans will show costs and what is covered in simple language with 'no fine print.'
Why should I care about the Marketplace?
- It will help you learn if you qualify for Badger Care Plus.
- It will help you find an insurance plan that fits your budget, and let you know if you can get a discount.
- You cannot be turned down because of a pre-existing condition like diabetes, asthma, or mental illness.
How does the Marketplace work?
There will be different levels of cost and coverage for you to choose from. Every insurance plan must cover the essential benefits listed below.
- Emergency department visits
- Hospital care
- Maternity and new baby care
- Mental health, behavioral health and substance abuse treatment
- Prescription medicines
- Rehabilitation services and devices
- Lab tests
- Prevention and wellness services, and chronic disease management (like diabetes and asthma)
- Children’s care, including dentist visits and eye care (glasses)
Information You Need to Enroll
- Date of birth and Social Security numbers of all family members who need coverage
- Income information
- Employer information (if employed)
- E-mail account (if applying online)