Understanding Your Bill
Froedtert & The Medical College of Wisconsin accepts responsibility in providing you with the best value in medical services. In turn we ask that you accept responsibility for paying for those services in a timely manner. You will be required to sign Consent for Treatment and Responsibility for Payment forms regardless of what insurance coverage you have.
Patient Financial Services & Financial Counselors
We understand that billing and collection for health care services can be confusing. Patient Financial Services can assist with billing questions. A financial counselor can provide an estimate of charges to determine if you might be eligible for financial assistance programs.
To speak with a financial counselor or contact Patient Financial Services, call: 800-466-9670.
Billing and Insurance
It is important to understand your insurance coverage and what to do if you do not have insurance. Learn more about insurance and billing.
- We will bill your insurance after services are rendered.
- We will not send you a bill until after your insurance has processed your claim. This takes about 30 days.
- Your bill from Froedtert will only be for services provided by the hospital and for use of the facility.
- You will receive a separate bill for your physician’s services.
- You may receive an explanation of benefits before receiving an actual bill from your provider.
- Non-Therapy Visits: Each time you are seen, a new account is created and a new bill is generated. Every visit has its own account number/bill.
- Therapy Visits: We will bill your insurance monthly for all of the visits during the prior month. This will be assigned a series account number.
Other Bills You May Receive
If you see a physician at a Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin location, you may receive one, or several different bills, depending on the services received. The bill you receive from Froedtert will only
contain charges for services provided by the facility.
Physicians are not employed by the facility.
Professional fees charged by physicians for services
provided to you will be billed separately. If you have questions about
a Medical College bill please call 800-242-1649.
- Deductible: The amount you must pay annually towards health care expenses before insurance starts paying benefits
- Co-pays: A flat fee you pay for healthcare expenses. Example: $30 office visit co-pay, $50 urgent care co-pay, $100 ER visit co-pay.
- Co-insurance: The percentage of your healthcare expenses you pay. Example: insurance pays 80%, you pay 20% of charges. Explanation of Benefits (EOB): A letter from your insurance provider informing the patient that the claim has been processed. This letter details what the provider is being paid and the portion the patient is responsible for.
- Facility Fee: Fee charged by the hospital for the use of its facilities and support staff in addition to physician fees. Example: operating room, procedure room.
- Out of Pocket Maximum: The maximum amount you have to pay, per year, under your insurance plan. This amount includes deductible and co-insurance amounts. Co-pays are not included in the out of pocket maximum.
Froedtert Health Billing: 800-466-9670
Medical College of Wisconsin Billing: 800-242-1649