Prep time: 25 minutes
1 pound medium raw shrimp
• 1 cup lime juice (approximately 5 fresh limes)
• 4 medium tomatoes (Roma or Italian), diced OR 8 ounces canned, diced tomatoes
• 1 small red onion, peeled, finely chopped (approximately ¾ cup chopped)
• 1 bunch cilantro, stemmed and finely chopped
• 2 serrano chili peppers, ribs and seeds removed, minced (optional)
Tip: For a mild option, try half of a medium green bell pepper.
- In a bowl, combine shrimp and lime juice.
- Cover and marinate for about 10 to 15 minutes or until color changes to pink. Do not marinate too long, as the shrimp will "overcook" and toughen.
- Add onions, tomatoes, chili peppers and cilantro.
- Gently stir to combine.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve cold.
Serving size: 4 ounces
Fat: 1 gram
Cholesterol: 220 milligrams
Sodium: 265 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 13 grams
Dietary Fiber: 2 grams
Sugar: 5 grams
Protein: 25 grams
Adapted from ©2016 Onion Rings and Things, Lalaine Manalo.
Preparing for Bariatric Surgery
Learn more about bariatric surgery and what to expect.