We know that our nurses at Froedtert Hospital are unmatched in their expertise, education, professionalism and above all, compassion. We wouldn’t be a leading academic medical institution without top-of-the-line nursing care, and we’re proud to say we have it, and more.
To Care and Comfort
Froedtert Hospital nurses will be trusted leaders demonstrating passion, innovation and excellence in professional nursing practice.
Nursing Professional Practice Model of Relationship-Based Care
The Nursing Professional Practice Model of Relationship-Based Care depicts nursing practice at Froedtert Hospital. A central focus of the model is care of the patient, family and the community. Six elements serve as the model’s foundation, with the mission, vision, values, philosophy and strategic initiatives influencing nursing practice.
Nurses at Froedtert Hospital support professional nursing practice, which emphasizes:
- Relationship-based care that is individualized, compassionate and culturally sensitive, in which nurses advocate for care that is delivered with utmost respect and dignity
- Courageous, agile and responsive leadership that builds resilience and facilitates successful navigation of change
- Interprofessional collaboration for optimal patient outcomes, including empowering patients and families as active participants in their care
- The delivery of high-quality patient care and making a difference in the lives of patients through commitment to nursing research, evidence-based practice and quality improvement
- Education of our patients, families, the community, future health care professionals and ourselves
- A foundation of shared governance that supports autonomous, participative decision-making
- An environment that nurtures and supports top-of-license practice, innovation, clinical expertise and ongoing professional development, enhancing the recruitment and retention of outstanding nursing staff who exemplify nursing excellence
Message from the Chief Nursing Officer
Kathy Bechtel, MSN, RN, NEA-BC Vice President Patient Care Services and Chief Nursing Officer
Tremendous physical growth has occurred at Froedtert over the last couple of years, with a new Integrated Procedural Platform, inpatient expansion of additional floors to the Center for Advanced Care and new ambulatory clinics.
With each initiative, nurses have been integral in the planning and successful implementation of nursing services. Our growth goes beyond facilities. Nurses have been active in leading and collaborating to improve and enhance health care delivery. Nurses have been champions for creating a culture in which professional nursing practice thrives. Most important, nurses are demonstrating how we are effectively positioning the delivery of nursing within our dynamic health care system.
Seven Ways We Are Growing Excellence
- Resources and Staffing
- Leadership Access and Responsiveness
- Interprofessional Relationships
- RN-to-RN Teamwork and Collaboration
- Quality Nursing Care
- Professional Development
Froedtert Hospital first received its Magnet® recognition in 2006, with redesignation in 2011. In 2016, Froedtert Hospital achieved its third Magnet designation for excellence in nursing services by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program®. This designation is a seal of approval for hospitals that earn it and signifies quality patient care and nursing excellence.
Learn more about Magnet recognition and our commitment to nursing excellence in our nursing special report, "Nurses — Growing Excellence."
Nursing Awards and Recognitions
To recognize excellence in nursing, Froedtert Hospital, Froedtert Menomonee Falls Hospital and Froedtert West Bend Hospital are DAISY Award Partners, recognizing a selection of nurses with this special honor every quarter. Learn more about the DAISY Award.
Advanced Practice Nurses
Advanced practice nurses (APNs) are important members of the Froedtert & MCW health care team. They provide some of the same care provided by physicians and maintain close working relationships with physicians.
Nursing Qualifications and Skills
What makes our nurses the best of the best is a kind of “perfect storm” of qualifications:
- Our nurses are well-trained. Many have advanced degrees or advanced certifications in their specialties and many are active in their professional associations. They are critical thinkers who value lifelong learning, specialty certification and professional development.
- Our nurses practice in an academic medical center that fosters collaboration, innovation and clinical excellence. They have access to the newest technology and research, putting them on the cutting edge of health care.
- Our nurses strive for continuous improvement in patient outcomes. That means they continually seek better ways to provide care. They question the routine and, through research, develop better ways to provide high-quality patient care.
- Our nurses care for patients with compassion and respect. They are mothers and sisters, husbands and brothers, and they know what it means to be a patient or have a loved one who’s ill.
- Our nurses are connected to the community. In addition to their own volunteer commitments, our nurses are involved with numerous hospital-sponsored community health care and health education programs.
Froedtert & MCW nursing care sets the standard for excellence, and anybody who’s been a patient in a hospital knows how important superior nursing is to healing. Our nurses are compassionate, clinically competent and culturally sensitive professionals. They are the pivotal link in delivering consistently excellent patient care. And that’s what makes the Froedtert & MCW health network exceptional.
Schools of Nursing
Froedtert Hospital, Froedtert Menomonee Falls Hospital and Froedtert West Bend Hospital offer outstanding opportunities to provide valuable learning experience for instructors and students from the Schools of Nursing in the greater Milwaukee area and across southeastern Wisconsin.