- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ lbs sliced mushrooms
- 1 large tomato? diced
- 3/4 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; cut a thin slice from the bottom of each with a sharp knife to allow zucchini to sit flat.
- Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-in. shells. Set pulp aside.
- Place shells in an ungreased 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook ground turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl mix together zucchini pulp, beaten egg, spaghetti sauce, bread crumbs, mushrooms, tomato, salt, pepper, 1/2 cup cheese, and cooked ground turkey.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup mixture into each shell.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 350º F or until brown.
NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS PER SERVING (1 zucchini boat or 1/8 recipe):
Total Calories: 195
Total fat: 7.5g
Saturated Fat: 3g
Sodium: 294 mg
Total carbohydrates: 16g
Dietary Fiber: 4g
Preparing for Bariatric Surgery
Learn more about bariatric surgery and what to expect.
More to Explore