Patients with memory concerns undergo a thorough evaluation to determine possible causes of memory loss or reduced cognitive functioning.
Interdisciplinary Memory Assessment Program (IMAP)
If you or a loved one notices memory issues, our IMAP team can provide a memory evaluation, diagnosis and treatment plan. You will need to participate in an intake phone call and a two-hour appointment. Learn more about IMAP.
Evaluation to Determine Cause of Memory Loss
To determine the cause of memory loss, team members:
- Meet with the patient and family to obtain a thorough medical and behavioral history
- Perform a neurological exam to test brain function
- Conduct cognitive testing to assess mental processes
Testing for Memory Disorders
Other testing may include:
- Laboratory tests
- Neuro-imaging — Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin use advanced imaging technology — computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), positron emission tomography (PET) and single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) — to detect abnormal areas in the brain’s structure and function.
- Neuropsychological testing
A diagnosis and individualized care plan are provided to all patients and their family members. A copy of the assessment and regular progress reports are provided to the patient’s primary care physician.