Cosmetic surgery is performed to reshape normal structures of the body and improve appearance and self-esteem. It is usually considered elective and is not covered by insurance. Froedtert & MCW plastic surgeons perform the following procedures.
- Abdominoplasty (also known as a "tummy tuck"): An abdominoplasty can reshape your belly and waistline. The best candidates for abdominoplasty are men or women who are bothered by large fat deposits or loose abdominal skin that does not respond to diet or exercise.
- Breast enlargement (augmentation mammaplasty): Breast enlargement can help women achieve the breast size they’ve always desired. Breast enlargement can be performed using either silicone gel or saline-filled implants.
- Breast lift (mastopexy): Pregnancy, breastfeeding, and hormone and weight fluctuations, can cause the breasts to sag. A breast lift, subtly raises the breasts, creating a vibrant, youthful silhouette.
- Breast reduction: A breast reduction, or reduction mammoplasty, can improve proportions, erase discomfort, increase self-confidence and make it easier to participate in sports and other physical activities.
- Cheek and midfacial augmentation: Better defines or adds contour to the cheekbones for a more balanced appearance.
- Chin augmentation (mentoplasty): Refines the shape of the chin or enhance a receding chin.
- Dermabrasion: Dermabrasion is a type of surgical scraping used to repair certain skin problems, including signs of aging, wrinkles, skin damage or small growths which may turn into cancer. FORME Aesthetic and Vein offers several skin exfoliation options, including microdermabrasion, that may provide the desired results.
- Ear reshaping (otoplasty): Sometimes called “ear pinning,” otoplasty is a surgical procedure applied to reduce the appearance of prominent ears.
- Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty): Eliminates excess tissue or puffiness around the eyes due to aging or hereditary factors.
- Facelift (rhytidectomy): During a face or neck lift, surgeons remove excess tissue and reposition the skin to create a smoother, firmer facial appearance.
- Facial implants (cheeks, chin and jaw): Plastic surgeons can use implants to reshape the jaw, chin or cheeks. Facial implant surgery is usually used to enhance certain facial features or add proportion. It may also be used to correct birth defects and facial injuries.
- Fat transfer, or facial fat grafting: Fills sunken or creased areas of the face with injections of fat from other areas of the body.
- Forehead lift (browlift): A brow lift can remove or improve forehead furrows and frown lines. It is often performed in conjunction with a face lift.
- Laser treatment: Laser technology can play an important role in the cosmetic treatment of many skin care concerns today. Laser treatment can be effective in correcting wrinkles and sun-damaged skin, age spots, moles, keratosis and enlarged pores.
- Liposuction: Liposuction can be used to remove excess fat that does not respond to exercise and dieting, including fat around the thighs, stomach, upper arms, buttocks, or the waistline.
- Nose surgery (rhinoplasty): Rhinoplasty is a surgery applied to repair or reshape the nose. Highly skilled facial plastic surgeons can change the size, shape, angle and appearance of your nose.
- Wrinkle correction: Using Botox, Dysport and dermal fillers Froedtert & MCW providers can help patients reduce the appearance of wrinkles, facial creases and unwanted expression lines.
Cosmetic Surgery Process
The process for cosmetic surgery begins with a consultation with one of our surgeons. The surgeon will inform you about your different options for treatment, the type of anesthesia (local or general) to be used, specific information about the procedure, post-operative care and recovery, and potential complications associated with the procedure.
Because cosmetic surgery usually involves operating on soft tissue only, it is a very safe type of surgery. As with any surgery, however, complications may occur. Your surgeon will discuss the risks of your procedure with you. If you do have complications after surgery, the surgeon will consult with other physicians as needed in providing you the highest quality care. All of the resources of the academic medical center are available to you if complications should arise.
It’s important to inform the surgeon about your concerns and the specific area(s) that you would like to improve.During this visit, a “before” photo will be taken for comparison with the results following surgery. If you decide to have the surgery, the next step is an educational session with a nurse in the Plastic Surgery Center, where you will learn more about the particular procedure. Your surgery date will then be scheduled.
Some procedures may require an overnight stay, while other procedures can be performed as day surgery.
After Cosmetic Surgery
All surgery involves some swelling, bruising, mild pain and discomfort. There may also be some temporary numbness. All of these improve during your recovery period.
The surgeon will discuss the recovery period with you in your initial visit. Depending on your procedure, it may take from three to four days or from two to three weeks before you are able to resume your normal activities.
Some cosmetic surgery procedures need to be repeated, depending on the type of procedure performed. Eyelid surgery, for example, rarely needs to be repeated, while a face and neck lift may need to be repeated in five to 10 years.