The Recurrent Pregnancy Loss Program is offered through our Reproductive Medicine Center at North Hills Health Center. Patients referred to the Reproductive Medicine Center for recurrent pregnancy loss are offered specialized treatment interventions with the goal of promoting health in mind and body on the road to conception.
Who Is Eligible for the Recurrent Pregnancy Loss Program
- Any patient with three or more miscarriages. This includes clinical and biochemical pregnancy losses.
- Patients currently established with the Reproductive Medicine Center for medical treatment of recurrent pregnancy loss.
All services are billed to the patient’s insurance. The program includes a medical evaluation, nurse education, psychological support and specialized consult services.
Participation in the Recurrent Pregnancy Loss Program requires a referral from your OB/GYN or Primary Care provider. Talk to your provider to see if you are a candidate and to request a referral.
Medical Evaluation for Pregnancy Loss Risk Factors
- Patients are scheduled for an initial evaluation with a physician following standard medical care for evaluation and treatment of recurrent pregnancy loss.
- The physician will review patient-specific medical risk factors and provide general medical information on recurrent pregnancy loss.
- Patients also receive information for reputable online resources for self-education on infertility.
- Patients meet with a Registered Nurse specializing in infertility for an individualized session.
- Depending on the patient’s need, the nurse will discuss recommendations regarding exercise, nutrition, substance use, supplements, complementary and alternative medicine practices, as well as restrictions in early pregnancy.
- Patients receive written education on health behaviors and infertility.
- Patients also receive information on community resources for complementary and alternative medicine.
- Patients are scheduled to meet with a clinical health psychologist specializing in infertility.
- Following an initial evaluation, between six and eight individual sessions will be offered. Sessions are 45-50 minutes in duration and held every other week.
- Additional maintenance sessions can be scheduled as needed and visit frequency may increase during the first trimester of subsequent pregnancies.
- Session topics include grief, health habits, mind-body connection, and other cognitive and behavioral strategies to promote overall health.
- Patients can schedule optional partner session(s) to address communication, family planning and intimacy.
- The treatment focus is specific to fertility and family planning. Treatment needs beyond this can be discussed with the provider.
- If interested in a group therapy format, please discuss this option with the psychologist at your initial visit.
Specialized Consult Services
These services are available when clinically indicated.