Being an adult Level I Trauma Center means we provide the highest level of specialty expertise for every aspect of an injury. Our trauma center covers every aspect of an injury, from injury prevention to rehabilitation. We also have a strong commitment to community planning and prevention, professional education and research.
Froedtert & MCW staff is involved in disaster planning for the region by participating in community disaster exercises involving police, emergency medical services and other hospitals. The scenarios differ with each exercise. The hospital simulates victims with by using volunteers or “paper” patients.
Prevention is the best way to reduce traumatic injuries and save lives. As part of the being the adult Level I Trauma Center, we are committed to community injury prevention education. Froedtert & MCW nurses and Medical College of Wisconsin physicians reach out to the community with programs aimed at preventing behaviors that may result in injury. Programs include:
- "Choose Safe" Injury Prevention — check out our injury prevention resources
- Emergency Nurses Cancel Alcohol Related Events (ENCARE) — a thought-provoking program to area high school students highlighting the tragic consequences of underage alcohol use.
- Teen Crash Simulation Program, a program designed to educate high school students about risk-taking behaviors when driving.
- Preventing Falls in Older Adults — offers tips to help older adults make their homes safer to prevent falls
- Suicide Prevention — Find information on recognizing the warning signs of suicide and resources for where to find help.
Post-traumatic Stress Disorder Program
The goal of the Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Program is to help patients achieve complete recovery – both psychological and physical – from traumatic injury. Our Trauma Center is one of the first in the nation with a clinical psychologist on staff to assess patients for PTSD.
With an accredited adult Level I Trauma Center, Froedtert Hospital is responsible for providing regional leadership on trauma prevention and education.