Mary Beth Ponzo, PT, DPT, MS
Medical College of Wisconsin,
Program Manager, Rehabilitation Services
Jami Hellmer , APNP
Karla Zilinki , APNP
Spine Care Team Specialists
- Physiatrist/Neurologist: The physiatrist/neurologist will work with you to manage your treatment plan which may include medical management, determining if additional testing is necessary to identify and treat your pain and to monitor your progress throughout the program. This is a non-surgical approach to treating your neck and back pain.
- Chiropractor: Chiropractors are an integral part of our SpineCare team. Our doctors of chiropractic evaluate and educate patient’s on their conditions as well as provide manual therapy including joint manipulation towards decreasing pain and improving the patient’s tolerance to activity.
- Physical Therapist: The physical therapist will provide treatment to help you learn how to manage your spine condition through education, instruction in specific exercises and postural retraining. The physical therapist will encourage you to embrace lifestyle changes which will promote the health of your spine long term.
- Occupational Therapist: The occupational therapist/Certified Ergonomic Evaluation Specialist identifies risk factors associated with the physical requirements of your work and home tasks and will provide ergonomic recommendations to protect your spine when performing these tasks. An on-site ergonomic evaluation may be requested for a work related injury.
- Pain Psychologist: The psychologist can help you to understand your own emotional and behavioral responses to your ongoing/chronic pain. Additional testing may be useful to help the psychologist to determine treatment options that would focus on coping/management with your chronic symptoms.
- Surgeon: Our surgeons take a conservative approach to ensure that non-operative treatment, if indicated, has been exhausted prior to considering surgery. If surgery is considered, the use of imaging and/or other testing is used to confirm if a surgical procedure is the best solution for treating your pain.
More to Explore