Dignity and respect help us deliver What Is Possible to the people we care for.
Inclusion Health Clinics and More
Recognized as a national leader in LGBTQ health care equality, our providers offer the highest standard of medical care to the LGBTQ community, including our Inclusion Health Clinics, specifically designed to comprehensively meet the health care needs of the LGBTQ community.
LGBTQ Health Services
- Inclusion Health Clinics where providers with expertise and a passion for caring for LGBTQ patients deliver care in a welcoming, affirming environment. Call 414-805-2018 for more information.
- Comprehensive primary care and preventive care for members of the LGBTQ community and their families and friends
- Care for transgender patients, including gender-affirming hormone therapy and voice training
- OB/GYN care for lesbian, bisexual and transgender patients
- LGBTQ fertility and reproductive medicine
- HIV specialty care and HIV prevention services
- Plastic surgery — breast augmentation, mastectomy, vaginoplasty and gender-affirming facial surgery
- Laser hair removal
- Psychiatric care
- Gastroenterology and hepatology
Inclusion Health Clinics
Inclusion Health Clinics FAQ
How will Section 1557 of the ACA impact my care?
Will there be any changes in your clinics based on the new rule issued by the Department of Health and Human Services — related to “Section 1557” of the Affordable Care Act — removing protections for transgender and nonbinary people in health care settings?
In June 2020, the Department of Health and Human Services issued a rule (related to “Section 1557” of the Affordable Care Act) that eliminated previous prohibitions of discrimination based on gender identity in health care institutions that receive federal funding. This rule leaves transgender and nonbinary individuals at risk of discrimination at health care institutions that may choose to discriminate. However, nondiscrimination protections for transgender individuals have long been in place at Froedtert & MCW locations. We have nondiscrimination protections related to gender identity in our patient care policies, visitor policies and employment policies.
The Froedtert & MCW Inclusion Health Clinics will continue to provide outstanding medical care in a welcoming and affirming environment. One of the foundation missions of the clinic is specifically to provide a safe and welcoming space where transgender and nonbinary patients can receive excellent health care. We remain dedicated to this mission and will not waiver from it, regardless of any changes made by the Department of Health and Human Services.
Why did you open the Inclusion Health Clinics?
We recognize the importance of providing LGBTQ individuals with the highest quality of care. This includes offering an environment that affirms each of our patients and by having providers with expertise and a passion for caring for LGBTQ patients.
What services are provided?
We provide the following services.
- Gastroenterology and hepatology
- General primary care
- Gender-affirming hormone therapy for transgender patients
- HIV treatment
- HIV prevention (PrEP)
- OB/Gyn care
- Psychiatry services
Do you require a letter from a mental health provider to start gender-affirming hormone therapy?
In most cases, we do not require a letter and begin gender-affirming hormone therapy using the "informed consent" model.
Nevertheless, we encourage patients to have an ongoing relationship with a mental health provider to assist with the emotional, social and physical changes that can accompany the start of hormone therapy. In rare circumstances, your medical provider may request a letter of clearance from a mental health provider prior to initiating hormone therapy.
Does the clinic offer gender-affirming surgeries?
There are many kinds of gender-affirming surgical procedures, such as facial feminization, tracheal shave, breast augmentation or reduction, body contouring, orchiectomy, vaginoplasty, metoidioplasty and phalloplasty.
Our surgical specialists provide some, but not all, of these procedures. You can discuss these with an Inclusion Health Clinic provider during a visit.
What age of patients do you see?
We can see patients age 15 and older. If your child would like to be seen at the Inclusion Health Clinic, please make an appointment with one of our providers and bring the medications your child is taking to the appointment. We will have you sign a release of information form to get prior records if we cannot see them in your child’s medical record. We can answer any additional questions at your first visit.
Do you offer urgent care visits?
We are now able to offer a limited number of same-day or next-day appointments for urgent primary care concerns for established patients. If you have an urgent health concern, please call the Inclusion Health Clinic at 414-805-2018 and ask to speak to one of our nurses. Our staff will help determine if your concern is appropriate for an urgent appointment in the Inclusion Health Clinic or whether a visit to urgent care or the emergency department would be more appropriate.
- What insurance to you take?
Can you see people without insurance?
At this time the clinics can accept people with any form of insurance that allows them to come to Froedtert & MCW locations.
People who are currently uninsured can get assistance checking their eligibility for insurance through Froedtert Health Financial Services.
What has the Inclusion Health Clinic done to help improve LGBTQ health overall?
Our staff and providers have delivered training sessions on LGBTQ health to groups of health care providers within Froedtert Health, as well as local and regional professional association meetings and educational events. We have spoken to community organizations and local companies to discuss the importance of excellent health care for LGBTQ people.
We readily accept opportunities to be present on local television and radio and in newspapers to educate the public on LGBTQ health. We also enjoy connecting with our LGBTQ community at local festivals and events to share information about our services and better understand our community’s needs.
Empower Yourself - PrEP for HIV Prevention
Take control of your sexual health with PrEP — a medication that reduces the risk of HIV infection.
- PrEP is safe and has few side effects.
- PrEP can be affordable and accessible.
- We can help you get on PrEP.
Human Rights Campaign recognized all three Froedtert & MCW hospitals as "Top Performers in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality" for protecting our LGBTQ patients and employees from discrimination, ensuring equal visitation, providing staff training, and ensuring exceptional staff and patient experiences based on policy, process and practices.
Inclusion Health Clinic Providers
Jesse Ehrenfeld, MD, MPH
News About the Inclusion Health Clinics
- Providing Mental Health Services for Members of the LGBTQ Community During the COVID-19 Pandemic (Transformational Times, Oct. 15, 2021)
- Importance of LGBTQ+ Equity Work in Healthcare (Transformational Times, Oct. 15, 2021)
- FORGE, Inc. and the Froedtert & MCW Inclusion Health Clinic have launched PACT NOW (Preventing and Assisting with COVID-19 among Trans and Non-binary Wisconsinites). The program is a multi-part online and phone/text-based suite of services designed to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and its negative consequences among Wisconsin’s transgender and non-binary community members and their partners, loved ones, friends, allies and contacts.
- Word on Medicine on Inclusion
- Ask the Physician with FORGE: Hormones as Essential Medicine
- Ask the Physician with FORGE: COVID-19 Basics for Trans/Non-Binary Communities
- It's Pride Night at Fiserv Forum! Fox Sports interview with Anne Lakatos, MSN, ANP, APNP
- Froedtert & MCW Inclusion Health Clinic providing LGBT community needed services (WISN interview with Andrew Petroll, MS, MD)
- Froedtert & The Medical College Of Wisconsin Open Inclusion Clinic To Serve The LGBTQ Community
- Froedtert, Medical College opening clinic tailored to LGBTQ community
- Congratulations to our 2018 BeOUT Award winners
- Clinic expands access to health services for LGBTQ patients
We are proud to support our LGBTQ+ community members by providing a welcoming environment with competent and compassionate primary and specialty care.
Caring, Compassionate Providers Throughout Our Health Network
Sarah Lundeen, RN, MSN, APNP